Clutch options

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Clutch options

Post by JonRiley56 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Hello all,I
Is anyone running a clutch set up on their boat. It would seem like
a good idea. Instead of having to keep the prop turning or blowing the relief valve at the dock you could just let the engine turn.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Re: Clutch options

Post by artemis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:59 pm

JonRiley56 wrote:Hello all,I
a good idea. Instead of having to keep the prop turning or blowing the relief valve at the dock you could just let the engine turn.
You can do it a lot easier and get rid of the reversing linkage as well by using a Kitchen Rudder - adjusting the "clamshells" allows the boat to hold its place in the water and keep the engine running. There are notes about it somewhere in here
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by JonRiley56 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks Ron.

I will take a look. BTW I signed up for the magazine today. Looking forward to it.

jon
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:56 am

JonRiley56 wrote:Hello all,I
There's one boat with a clutch, since its monotube boiler needs engine-driven auxiliaries to keep running... I just tie up to the dock and try and drag it around - the dock usually wins. Of course, with an oil fire I can get rid of the fire in a few seconds.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:47 am

Keep in mind that running a steam engine disconnected from the propeller will not require much real power, and thus very little steam consumption. Your relief valve will blow almost as fast as having the engine stopped. I put a 1/4 inch diameter valve and 1/4 inch OD tubing right next to the relief valve, and if I am waiting at the dock and blowing of the relief valve is going to happen, then I just open this little valve and waste steam to atmosphere, very little noise and excitement compared to blowing the safety valve.
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.S. Zeltic

Post by dhic001 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:07 am

A much better option is to practice good boiler management, and ensure that your boiler isset up to allow this. If you are oil firing, blowing the safety valve should be a very rare occurance as fire management is so precise. If burning solid fuel, you'll need to control it more by controlling the fire settings and the water level. Obviously some situations arise that cause the safety to lift, its not always possible to control the boiler fully, handle mooring lines, answer questions from the wharf, talk to passengers and deal with the numerous other eventualities. That said, in none of the situations where I was likely to blow the safety valve, would I be inclined to declutch the engine.

In boiler management, certainly for a boiler with a reasonable volume of water and a coal fire, there are two things that are really useful in stopping the safety from blowing. The first is a good set of doors on the firebox, ones that seal completely and are easy accessed so can be closed quickly. The second is a well set up and easily accessed injector that works every time. With those two things, and a heap of experience in boiler operation, I'm able to keep Zeltic's safety valve shut almost all the time.

Set your plant up well, and learn to use it properly, and you won't need the clutch.

Daniel
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 pm

...I put a 1/4 inch diameter valve and 1/4 inch OD tubing right next to the relief valve, and if I am waiting at the dock and blowing of the relief valve is going to happen, then I just open this little valve and waste steam to atmosphere, very little noise and excitement compared to blowing the safety valve.
I'm going to assume you're NOT talking of mounting some sort of a "T" on the pipe to the pressure relief valve and branching off from that to this "bleed" valve. As I'm sure you know, ONLY the pressure relief valve can be on that pipe from the boiler.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
preaton
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by preaton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 pm

I have made up a clutch because my boat is hybrid (has an electric motor)

Here are some pics.

[img][/http://www.flickr.com/photos/48336268@N ... hotostream]
preaton
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Post by preaton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Hmm that didn't work
How about this?

The central disc has 3 bars that slide forward or back giving me Electric drive, Steam or the steam engine can charge the batteries using the electric motor for regeneration. Got the idea out of a Funnel article from years ago.

Cheers

Paul
preaton
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Post by preaton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:24 pm

One more time. Sorry to be so hopeless