Type of wood for stingers

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
buffalow bill
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Bunnahabhain

Type of wood for stingers

Post by buffalow bill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi everybody, I’m Bill and have a Clinker built traditional Scottish launch 14ft6in long 5ft4in beam with 1ft6in draft (I think). My plan is to install a steam engine and boiler. The diesel engine and all other fittings have been removed. The engine stringers (the wood that the engine bolts to!) and some cross members require relocating/replacing. My question is what type of wood should be used to replace these, with due consideration that it is a traditional Scottish clinker built launch?
Aheadslow
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Type of wood for stingers

Post by Aheadslow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm

I would try to Identify what type of wood was used for the current engine stringers , and use the same species of wood for the new ones.
Also I would try to find some reclaimed wood to use , as anything newly milled will not likely be old growth and therefore not as resistant to rot.
I am currently working with a friend on a 1909 Mac flat bed truck and we are using reclaimed barn beams (that we found on the internet) to mill all the lumber for the bed (as mostly everything but the frame is made of wood :) ). I am sure that some of the other guys here will have some very good suggestions too.
Oh and welcome. :D
Human beings have an inalienable right to invent themselves.
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by gondolier88 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi,

Sounds like a nice boat you have there.

Going purely by the description you give I would expect the planking to be larch or pitch pine with either douglas fir or pitch pine timbers, excepting the frames which will probably be larch, elm or possibly oak. Don't use oak engine stringers unless you are going to use bronze fixings.

A picture would definitely help here!

If it is a locally built boat then more than likely there will be a sawmill within 50 miles supplying the right timber.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
buffalow bill
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by buffalow bill » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 am

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I will try later today to get photo’s from inside the boat.

I have I believe teak, pitch pine and mahogany all reclaimed, unfortunately the information I have is from dubious sources. :lol: But they do look nice!

Bill
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Johnlanark » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Bill - nice boat. Iroko would be a good durable and tough wood for your bearers. If you are in Scotland, you can buy it at Gilmour & Aitken in Alexandria. They sell long lengths but will cross cut it to fit your transport. John
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by gondolier88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 pm

buffalow bill wrote:Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I will try later today to get photo’s from inside the boat.

I have I believe teak, pitch pine and mahogany all reclaimed, unfortunately the information I have is from dubious sources. :lol: But they do look nice!

Bill
Pitch pine would be perfect, post some pics of the timber you have if you're unsure and we'll see what we can do.

Iroko is an excellent timber- but it would be a shame to start using timbers that aren't correct to what I imagine you what to keep as a traditional Scottish launch- unless I'm wrong, and you're not bothered, in which case; go with Iroko.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
buffalow bill
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by buffalow bill » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks for the replies,
Aheadslow'
Will try and identify existing wood, but may take a while - access to boat is difficult at the moment.
Greg
Photo's are a problem :oops: the camera is in the van and the van is in the garage for repair! Will try as soon as poss.
John
G & A are only 15 miles away.

I was just trying to cut down the time once I have the boat at home, would like to keep to the same type of wood. We will see.
But thanks to all that replied.

Bill