Boiler Lagging

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Centurion
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Black Eagle

Boiler Lagging

Post by Centurion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Help!

I have not figured out to best utilize the search feature here to find the answer to my question which is:

I have a 20 year old boiler purchased several years ago that has the boiler lagging falling apart. The copper straps holding the lagging are failing resulting in lagging starting to fall off the boiler falling off or slipping down in several locations. It needs major work.

Is there any information on how to install boiler lagging available? I cant find any. Help would be appreciated.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Boiler Lagging

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 pm

The question is rather vague, but the best tool I've found is a nylon cargo ratchet strap. Use a couple, tighten one and loosen the other. They will stretch a bit to allow another strip be installed without them all falling out. They will hold the strips while new bands are installed also.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Folly

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 am

I don't know if there is any insulation under your lagging but this might be an opportunity to add some. As well as refinish your lagging pieces. As Ron says, those el cheapo 1" wide ratchet straps work great to pull everything together when it's time to reassemble.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:42 am

Hi,

try rubber luggage straps like this to fix boiler insulation and lagging during assembly.

--
Dietrich