Quiet M -Wrist pin fixed, finally

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Quiet M -Wrist pin fixed, finally

Post by DetroiTug » Mon May 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Anyone who has watched my Tug videos has heard the Engine clacking away. On a recent eight day steam outing, I decided to fix it when I got home. I thought possibly a rod bearing had went bad. Upon disassembly, I found what I had forgotten, one of the wrist pins was loose. This was one of the parts the last attemptee blew the bore on and I did not replace and figured I'd do it later. One of the mistakes I made was trying to assemble the crosshead in the standard, I proceeded with slip fit on everything for easier assembly, that's wrong. The best way to do it, is assemble the crosshead on the rod first and make it all press fit. Then feed it in the the crosshead guide and thread the piston rod in and adjust the travel. It is quiet as a church mouse now.. Well no knocking anyway. This camera used here has a very tinny mic and picks every little tick. Should be much more pleasant to run now. I figured someone can use this if they are building a Tiny Power M. The squeaking is the dry valve face.

-Ron