Help identify

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Help identify

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:26 am

I purchased this engine a month and a half ago and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it's possible manufacturer.

Single cylinder, poured babbitt mains, 3" bore 5" stroke, walking beam pump(s) (no pump unfortunately) appears to be original manufacture... though no mfg markings

Was wondering why it had the funny round plug at the top of the valve chest... pulled the valve chest cover and to my surprise...

It has a piston valve!

Very strange...

It may be going into "The Ice Breaker", until we find a more suitable compound (or triple!).
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Help identify

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Wes,

That is a nice looking engine. An unusual config for the piston valve, never seen anything like it. It's almost like they were trying to hide the fact it is a piston valve? Not sure why they would want to do that other than to give it a more conventional appearance. May be a conversion? I'll bet it's very powerful with that stroke.

Coincidentally, I was bidding on it too. I dropped off about 12.

-Ron
oldnicos
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by oldnicos » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Moin,

I've seen a lot of this kind of machine, but most of them were with Flat-Valve or Round-Valve.
This kind may be an D-Valve? But I can't see it well ther inside.
Can you make mor picture of it?

Thank you and best greetings
Nico
If the earth is burned by fire, everything would be glass.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:23 am

Nico,

It is a piston or "spool" valve. I found it unusual toat they would go through the effort of making it appear as though it is a slide valve engine.

Ron,

I happened upon a picture of a Herreshoff compound today, I found it interesting the similarities. I'm sure it is not a Herreshoff though. I also doubt it was retrofitted as the cylinder and steam chest are cast as one.

I think with the stroke and piston valve it will be a good fit for a 30ft steel panatela...

I was a little apprehensive about how much I spent on the engine and freight costs, but after seeing it in person I am quite happy with my purchase.
Steamboat Mike
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Catawissa

Post by Steamboat Mike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Wes,

Nice engine, very long stroke to bore ratio.

The valve arrangement is very similar to what is used in the Pearl Launch engine that Roger Grosser sells castings for. Is yours inside or outside admission? The Pearl is outside admission but the steamchest is made to look like slide valve.

The two things that jump out at me from your pics are the fly/handwheel and the shape of the main frame and with the bar cast across the bottom of the trunk guide. I have what I believe to be a later Herreshoff engine. It is 4"x4" piston valve and was probably made as a pump or blower engine. It has a spherical base that is like the bottom of a bottle frame engine. It is like a dog bowl that the two legs of the trunk guides stand on, forming a sump for the crank. It also has a peculiar circular flanged base drilled to bolt to something big. If you google "Herreshoff" and look at images the first hit or so shows a black painted engine similar to mine with the wheel that looks just like yours as well as the mainframe that resembles yours to some extent.

There seem to be two editions of Herreshoff engines, the early ones with the exquisitely graceful bronze frames and little hats for cylinder head covers and later iron engines that are all business and more conventional looking. If my engine and yours are Herreshoffs they are of this later version.

Best of luck restoring this beauty, she will look great in a boat. Hope this was of use in further identifying you engine.

Beat regards, Steamboat Mike
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Mike, thank you for the info. The valve is outside admission, making the "steam chest" still a steam chest.

I found this photo and wood cuts of Herreshoff engines (wood cut of the compound shows an interesting variable cutoff valve arrangement). The frames look look very similar to my engine, with the cast-in pump platform and rocking arm. The interesting rocking arm arrangement on the valve gear die block is also similar, thought there is an actual reversing lever on my engine. The cylinder casting is my only hang-up. Possibly a later engine than the one pictured, or a replacement cylinder?

ccdewitt
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Precious Bane

Post by ccdewitt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:32 pm

Wes,

That is a very cool engine. Good get.

CCdW
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Wow that is very similar if not identical.

-Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:02 am

Thanks Chris. Any plans for the sesquicentennial celebrations tomorrow (Nov 1)?

Does anyone have any contact information of anyone who owns a Herreshoff single or early compound? Or possibly someone who may be a bit of an expert on these engines?

I'm trying to get dimensions of columns, bolt spacing, etc. to better make a conclusion.... If anyone has any more pictures that may be helpful it would be greatly appreciated.

~Wes
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:29 pm

In the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit

What a beauty!!
Attachments
HerschoffCompound2.jpg
COMPOUND HERSHOFF