Tiny Power M Twin Build

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Tiny Power M Twin Build

Post by racerfrank » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Forgot this photo. I slid all the bearings on the shaft before I cut it to lengths. I put a key each keyway and set it all in place and started some bolts. the shaft turns very easily. Sigh of relief that every thing lines up very good with no binding. I hope the rest of the crank goes the same way.

Until next time

Frank
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:13 am

Did a bit of work today.
I set up a block of wood, I know not the best choice of materials but its what I had that would work. I milled a slot in the bottom for a couple of fixture keys. Clamped the wood block to the table I bored holes for pins that fit in the crank web holes. Then I clamped the web on top the block and milled one side flipped it over and milled the other side . The only decent end mills I could find were some roughers. The flame cut edges were very hard barely got through all the parts. Monday morning I'll order a finishing end mill and make a clean up pass on each piece.

I also need to get a corner rounding end mill to radius the top corners of the counterweights. I'll do this with my dividing head.

I think they turned out ok.

Frank
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi Frank

Those look pretty good to me as they are. I'll now show my ignorance of metal working and ask how, if you did them one by one, did you get them all to exactly the same profile? Is your mill set up for computer control?

Regards

Pete
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:05 pm

PeteThePen1 wrote:Hi Frank

Those look pretty good to me as they are. I'll now show my ignorance of metal working and ask how, if you did them one by one, did you get them all to exactly the same profile? Is your mill set up for computer control?

Regards

Pete

No computer control, I don't even have a digital read out on my mill. If you go back a page there are photos of boring the holes for crankshaft and the crankpin, then all the web outside diameters were turned on the lathe, then back on the mill the wood block and pins never move on the table so once your dials are "zeroed" you just return to the same spot each time.

In this photo you can see all 3 axis of the mill table X = is the left or right movement Y = is forward and backward and Z Is the up and down.

Frank
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Frank, I am watching your engine build with interest, and particularly your crank build-up. May I ask what thinking brought you to preferring flame-cut web blanks, instead of bar-end slices? I have a similar project in the pipe-line.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:Hi Frank, I am watching your engine build with interest, and particularly your crank build-up. May I ask what thinking brought you to preferring flame-cut web blanks, instead of bar-end slices? I have a similar project in the pipe-line.
That's what was supplied with the "kit". They were most likely cut using a cnc table as they only varied .070 --.080 or less between them all. If I would buy another kit to build and that's what came with it I'd use them. The only thing that was difficult was the cut edges were very hard and used up 2, 3/4 roughing end mills. A solid carbide end mill would have been the answer. If nothing was supplied I would most likely use bar stock slices.

Frank
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Cheers Frank, I hadn't figured that they had been supplied. I was going with bar-end for mine.

racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Between work the last two weeks and then a snow storm I haven't got a lot done. managed to carve out a few hours today to do some garage work. As far as the M goes I got the keyways cut in the crank shafts.

Until next time

Frank.
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Looking for advise on machining the eccentrics. Procedures, techniques, jigs, fixtures and ?????.

Thanks in advance

Frank
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:05 pm

You could start almost anywhere. Start off in the 3-jaw and get a flat face, mark out your centres, and continue with the 4-jaw. Using the tailstock centre to pick up on the centres. The two important parts are the bore and the outer face/guide, everything else, much less so; just needs to look nice. If you need repeatability then a stub fixture to fit through the bore would ease things. Prepare them all to completed bore stage, fit the stub offset in the 4-jaw and do the all the outers.