UK boiler regulations

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Steve C
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

UK boiler regulations

Post by Steve C » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi
I will apologize now if this has been covered (i have looked through the 20 previous pages and couldn't see them)in the UK in model engineering we are not allowed to make our own steel boilers unless we have a massive paper trail, and coded welder etc, what rules must follow if i wanted to make my own boiler.
regards
Steve
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: UK boiler regulations

Post by barts » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Steve C wrote:Hi
I will apologize now if this has been covered (i have looked through the 20 previous pages and couldn't see them)in the UK in model engineering we are not allowed to make our own steel boilers unless we have a massive paper trail, and coded welder etc, what rules must follow if i wanted to make my own boiler.
regards
Steve
How big a boiler are you considering? From your questio, I assume you're in the UK?

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Steve C
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Steve C » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi yeah I am in the UK I have the facilities to buil a 20-30 ft boat and I am a welder by trade I am also into model engineering so I am looking to put all my skills and interests into one thing just need to know where I stand with UK boiler regs
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:43 am

Have you approached the SBA (Steam Boat Association)? They have plenty of info about this sort of thing, and are UK based
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Steve

It sounds as if you need to get yourself a copy of the SBAS boiler design library, available to SBA Members. It lists a host of designs from weld free to some quite large and heavy boilers. The only down side is that there are no suggested casing designs for the water tube collection, so builders are forced to re-invent the wheel. Some of us are happy to share our experiences of doing that, but the 'health warning' is that I am an ex-paper pusher not an ex-engineer.

Regards

Pete

PS Yes you do need the paper trail too, approved design, materials certs, welder name & qualification, hydro test details, etc. I may have some of those wrong, but the full list is in the SBAS Boiler Testing guide book.
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:59 am

Hi Steve

From what I gather the rules and regs for small steam launches are more or less the same as for models. The big difference being the SBA had set up a company called SBA Services who are there to help and support people on the boiler side, with approved designs, inspections, guidance etc. They are associated with an insurance company who have worked hard to ensure the safety of steam boats which helps keep down the cost of the insurance.

As you may be aware in the model world a general rule of thumb is that below 6" scale is a model and 6" and above is full size. This doesn't work so easily on a boat as a 4" scale of the Titanic would be a significant vessel! Instead the general rule of thumb is that a passenger carrying boat is full size, otherwise it is a model.

You do not have to use the SBA Services but at the end of the day they are SBA members like the rest of us and they have a keen interest in hobby boating.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Depending on where you are located in the UK another good contact is Terry Statham of 'TRS Welding' who is based in Derbyshire, he knows how to charge, but is a very sound straight talking guy who does an excellent job.

He has produced quite a number of boilers for the SBA and its members, from the SBAs record of boiler designs, including a cracking vertical firetube boiler that's very well sized for the majority of UK launches. He also re-tubed our larger VFT boiler in EmilyAnne a few years ago.

http://www.trs-welding.co.uk/

Daniel
malcolmd
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Steam Yacht Befur

Post by malcolmd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:43 pm

The SBA is the route to go - great people willing to help, lots of knowledge - personally recommend also contacting John King who produces and sells plans for a number of great water tube designs either with welding or weldless. And the paper trails are not too bad, and better than dealing with the coroner!!!! :-)
Malcolm Duckett
Mechanical Hacker (Apprentice, age 60+)
Befur's Blog
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:50 pm

Are there any boiler code rules required of UK steamboat boilers? In the USA for many steamboats under 40 feet length there are no binding rules, but I am just wondering if there are binding rules for a small steamboat in the UK? I understand that many clubs and steamboat meets do have some rules, and much good (and some bad) guidance is available for boilers, but what is considered mandatory law?

Same questions for our group of steamboaters in other countries, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, etc.?
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Fred

Since nobody seems to have jumped in to answer your question, I will do my best. However, I'm no expert so there may be somebody who can come and correct my mistakes.

As I understand it, the EU pressure vessels directive, as turned into UK legislation by the Whitehall Mandarins, exempts hobby steam launches from the rules applying to ships. However, they are not exempted from boiler testing. In other parts of the EU the Directive is differently interpreted and so annual boiler testing is not required, but the boiler must be built to an approved standard, tested and certified at first sale.

In the UK the boiler testers are bound by the Pressure Vessel legislation and must apply the same standards that they would apply to any pressure vessel, be it a locomotive or a power station. So rigourous annual testing is the rule. To get an initial certificate, the boiler must be made to a design that has been approved by a 'competent' person and come with the paper trail for the materials used and the details of the coded welder who has welded it up. This paper trail follows the boiler to each of its subsequent test events. You also have to bear in mind that you will not get insurance for a steam launch unless you have a boiler certificate or certify that the vessel is out of commission for maintenance, etc. If you don't have insurance most inland waterways will be banned to you. For SBA meets you must have insurance and a valid boiler certificate or you will be turned away.

Thus for non engineers the SBA boiler design library and SBA services the boiler testing and design evaluation service is a godsend.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Pete