Steam Sirens

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Steam Sirens

Post by Edward » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 am

I don't like Banshees , so I rather like my siren's sound as it keeps them away .
With a short , say 1/2 to 1 1/2 second blast it does go Whoop Whoop . to really keep the Banshees frightened of suffering the same fate as the one trapped in the siren a two or three second blast gets the rotor spinning very fast and the whoop becomes a shriek.
I'm not sure what others think , but I like it !

Edward.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 pm

Hope these images work...

What it does is not spool up... It moves pretty reasonable by hand when I take it apart.

But under steam it just sits there and a bunch of steam gushes out and there is no spool up of the rotor.

-CB
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by racerfrank » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:25 am

I've seen another siren of this same make and it had the same symptoms. On this design of siren there are 4(?) pieces that have to be perfectly aligned. The rotor(1) has to be proper to the stator(2) and the bottom of the rotor and stator have to fit to the plate(3) witch has to fit proper in the bottom housing(4).

I have 3 theories why it might not work. #1 If clearances are off on 2 or more pieces the "stacked" interference may cause it to bind when assembled. #2 The way the plate fits in the bottom of the housing (to allow the steam to get from the inlet to the outside of the stator) may restrict the flow of steam/air.
#3 the slots are not sized or positioned to impart rotation.

I'm in Pennsylvania USA, not sure where you are. I'd sure like a chance to play with one of these sirens to see if there is a fix that is feasible.

Frank