90 deg-- 180 deg crank

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Oilking
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: 90 deg-- 180 deg crank

Post by Oilking » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Mike
The Portland is Stbrd 90deg ahead of port, but if I think the Preston is the other way around. You could check that out on your way back to the island.

Dave
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 pm

I'll ask Frank Orr in Anacortes. He's downtown every day.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by gondolier88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:53 pm

For balance on a twin you can't beat a 90deg. opposed V configuration- they only require one crank so there are zero dead spots and as the engines are pushing in slightly opposed directions they cancel out each other's reciprocating mass. There have been successful v-twin simples and compounds made and are a very compact smooth-running engine.

In conventional layouts, a three cylinder crank makes the most balanced arrangement as cranks are 120deg. apart, with 6 power strokes per revolution- the stem equivalent of an inline 6 cyl. IC engine.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:56 pm

gondolier88 wrote:For balance on a twin you can't beat a 90deg. opposed V configuration- they only require one crank so there are zero dead spots and as the engines are pushing in slightly opposed directions they cancel out each other's reciprocating mass. There have been successful v-twin simples and compounds made and are a very compact smooth-running engine.

In conventional layouts, a three cylinder crank makes the most balanced arrangement as cranks are 120deg. apart, with 6 power strokes per revolution- the stem equivalent of an inline 6 cyl. IC engine.

Greg
Since a double acting steam engine gets two power strokes per revolution and a four cycle Otto engine gets a power stroke every other revolution, I think a three cylinder double acting steam engine is like a V12 IC engine in terms of power strokes/rev, if not in terms of balance.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by gondolier88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:16 pm

barts wrote:
gondolier88 wrote:For balance on a twin you can't beat a 90deg. opposed V configuration- they only require one crank so there are zero dead spots and as the engines are pushing in slightly opposed directions they cancel out each other's reciprocating mass. There have been successful v-twin simples and compounds made and are a very compact smooth-running engine.

Greg
Since a double acting steam engine gets two power strokes per revolution and a four cycle Otto engine gets a power stroke every other revolution, I think a three cylinder double acting steam engine is like a V12 IC engine in terms of power strokes/rev, if not in terms of balance.

- Bart
Yes, that is true.
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:46 pm

The above posts may well be correct , indeed I'm sure they are but although I love steam I think I'd prefer the V12 ic engine and the Ferrari that goes with it .

Regards , Edward .
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 am

"V12 ic engine and the Ferrari "

We all have toy diversity, probably.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 am

Diversity indeed!

Anyone want to buy a rust-free '64 Buick Riviera? Not quite a Ferrari, but still ahead of its time in styling!
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:33 am

Lopez Mike wrote:Weird thing about steam locomotives. All over the world, the right side runs 90 degrees in advance of the left side. No exceptions as far as I know EXCEPT the Pennsylvania R.R. in the u.s.a. which was left ahead of right. I have no idea why. Historical stuff I suspect
The Strasburg Rail Road owns a Porter locomotive that is left hand leading. The Virginia & Truckee #2, the "Lyon" was left hand leading (you can see through to the other side in one of the existing photos), and so the reproduction that is nearing completion is as well. The third example that comes to mind is the Climax geared locomotive that was being restored at Cass WV has left hand leading on its crankshaft. I'm sure that there are others out there.

I suspect that most locomotives were right hand leading in that quartering machines (specialized machine tools used to turn both crankpins on a wheel set simultaneously) were built right hand leading, so the railroads standardized as well to save on buying a second quartering machine. That could be a chicken and the egg deal, I suppose.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:40 am

Herreshoff's steeple triple-expansions had 3 cranks and they weren't at 120* speration