digital steam engine indicator

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: digital steam engine indicator

Post by barts » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:15 pm

Alternatively, you could get a tiny super fast servo and put it inside an antique analog pressure gauge...
Note that most nicer automotive gauges are driven by tiny stepper motors these days... here's a good writeup:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/r ... art-gauges

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
PatJ
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: To be determined

Post by PatJ » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:36 pm

This is a very old thread, and I have not read all of it.

I had a white paper about someone who did make a digital indicator, and he had it hooked up to a personal computer.

I will try to find that article.

I always thought that a stepper motor would be ideal for actuating a D-valve (or other type steam valve), although introducing electronics to a steam engine is blasphemy to many.
I don't think I would ever use a stepper motor on a steam engine, but I am an EE and steam lover, so I am aware of the posibilities.

barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Some experimental internal combustion engines use solenoid actuated poppet valves; such valves could definitely be made to work on a steam engine. I wouldn't like to be far from shore relying on my own inexpertly potted electronics, but for an engine to play with in the shop - sure, could be fun, and would certainly make experimenting with different valve events easier. To tie back to the subject of this thread, a digital engine indicator could provide feedback back to the controlling computer to optimize valve events - more lead, overlap, etc.

A balanced slide valve could also be driven by a voice coil from one of those ghastly giant subwoofers often found in lowered cars; this would of course need position feedback but would make a pretty powerful and fast servo; the matching 12V audio amps could be pressed into service as the analog servo amplifier.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:57 pm

Feel like making an indicator for an engine with a 48" stroke? Already have the pantographs to convert it to a 4" stroke
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:28 am

You want to borrow my 'real' indicator?

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama