Boiler stack performance vs. relative humidity & dew point

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Boiler stack performance vs. relative humidity & dew poi

Post by gondolier88 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:52 pm

This is very common, on still days with low atmospheric pressure and high humidity it is difficult/impossible to get the fire to draw on natural draft.

Lighting a boiler every day for years you get to notice what makes a difference, and days like those you mention were always a killer. High on fuel, low on steam, and usually sweating buckets for the pleasure. It is something I've experienced on numerous boiler types and is no extraordinary phenomenon, just another elemental facet to using steam power.

Once running, especially if using puffing exhaust, the problem usually disappears, but woe betide if you come to a stop and forget to open dampers up.....

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:01 am

I burn wood with a fairly tall stack and I have more draft than I can use almost of the time.

To paraphrase Willy Nelson in The Electric Horseman, "It can suck the chrome off of a hitch ball"
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:54 pm

gondolier88 wrote:This is very common, on still days with low atmospheric pressure and high humidity it is difficult/impossible to get the fire to draw on natural draft.

Lighting a boiler every day for years you get to notice what makes a difference, and days like those you mention were always a killer. High on fuel, low on steam, and usually sweating buckets for the pleasure. It is something I've experienced on numerous boiler types and is no extraordinary phenomenon, just another elemental facet to using steam power.

Once running, especially if using puffing exhaust, the problem usually disappears, but woe betide if you come to a stop and forget to open dampers up.....

Greg
When someone like Greg says this happens, it's pointless to try and claim it doesn't. I wonder whether it's to do with the temperature inversions we often get on autumn mornings in England, which are often associated with very high RH or mist at ground level and a few feet up. It wouldn't surprise me if they were rarer in other parts of the world, though for all I know they could be commoner.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:07 am

There is something to this.

Remembering back when I used to work outside more. We would occasionally build fires to get rid of underbrush. An old timer told me that when smoke rises high it means fair weather is present for the interim, and when smoke hangs on the ground, it means rain is headed in. And it's true more often than not.

A few more of those although unrelated:

If the sun comes out when it is raining, it will typically rain at the same time the following day.

If it thunders in February. it will snow in may. (Northern USA)

I exhaust up the stack so none of this applies :D

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:49 am

You exhaust up the stack? That sound like something that happens around election time!
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama