Toledo 6HP Steam Usage

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Toledo 6HP Steam Usage

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:23 am

This advertisement for my 1902 6HP Toledo engine says that it uses 24lbs steam/hr/hp or 144lbs of Steam/hr @6HP.

That's 17.28 gallons/hr @6HP.

Too bad I can't take up the advertisements offer, "The results have been obtained under ordinary circumstances and we are ready to reproduce them at the Toledo factory any time."

Does this seem believable? It would mean at 6HP it would take 2.8gallons every 10 minutes underway on Nyitra. It doesn't seem that far off from my stationary experience generating electricity.

2 High Pressure Cylinders @ 3inch diameter x 4inch stroke w Piston Valves instead of D-valves.

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Toledo 6HP Steam Usage

Post by fredrosse » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:18 am

The advertised steam consumption is, as usual, optimistic. They claim 24 PPHPH, and that might be so with short cutoff in this engine. Probably possible when the engine is producing about 2 horsepower. But at 6 horsepower output you will need long cutoff, and specific steam consumption is higher.

The FAQ section of this forum provides guidelines for engine steam consumption, and at 6 horsepower, 210 PPH is estimated.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:19 am

fredrosse wrote:The advertised steam consumption is, as usual, optimistic. They claim 24 PPHPH, and that might be so with short cutoff in this engine.
I admit my incompetence - I know the concept of short cutoff and what it represents for fuel savings or cutoff governed engines such as corliss(know of - and the wrist plates snapping back) - but I don't know by sounds if my Toledo is short cutoff or not. I have only run it with a roughly 3/4 HP load (550W continuous electrical load)

I know it'll be different when she has the mechanical load of the prop on Nyitra...

This is the Toledo with no load, petcocks open:

This is about 1/2HP(400W) :

-CB
William Tell
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Isabelle

Post by William Tell » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:03 am

Hi!

What is the woking pressure and the number of revolutions per minute ? it is imperative to determine the consumption.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:40 am

William Tell wrote:Hi!

What is the woking pressure and the number of revolutions per minute ? it is imperative to determine the consumption.
I haven't measured the rpms. 200-400 rpm planned for and run at. My MAWP is 200PSI, but I'll probably be running in the range of 50PSI to 150PSI typically. Maybe I'll hit a zen spot a little higher, but I'll have to see when I first launch Nyitra which is very soon!

-CB