Option to dress up my stack

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Option to dress up my stack

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:07 am

DetroiTug wrote:"high temp coatings"

Looks like the upper limits for powder coat is around 350, above that as Bart mentions, a liner should be used.

-Ron

There are high-temp powdercoatings that are used on automotive headers and such... 800*F+
Last edited by TahoeSteam on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:11 am

It looks like those high temp powder coatings are all flat finish. I guess I'll just try painting it and see how well the old rattle can gloss stands up.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:15 am

Lopez Mike wrote:It looks like those high temp powder coatings are all flat finish. I guess I'll just try painting it and see how well the old rattle can gloss stands up.
All gloss high temp powdercoats:

http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uplo ... 3-2900.pdf

http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uplo ... 4-2904.pdf

http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uplo ... 4-0237.pdf

http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uplo ... 4-2903.pdf
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:20 am

Way cool. I'll be on the horn to them tomorrow. Close to where I live too.

Of course I am in Baja until May but I can dream. Right?
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:21 am

Lopez Mike wrote:Way cool. I'll be on the horn to them tomorrow. Close to where I live too.

Of course I am in Baja until May but I can dream. Right?
Get the best work done while dreaming!
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:17 pm

That reminds me, was watching a Jay Leno video about one of his Doble's and he had some Powder coating done somewhere there in California that was applied with a laser and good to 3000°F. I would imagine as the temp rating goes up, so do the prices.

-Ron
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:30 am

I have an elderly wood burning stove in my lounge, with an internal flue pipe 8" in diameter going 6' up the old chimney. Until about a year ago it got the graphite paste treatment a couple of times a year, which was moderately effective. By the way, the paste is better made up using tallow (sheep fat) rather than this new-fangled vegetarian linseed oil stuff. Be that as it may, about 2 years ago I tried a paint aimed specifically at wood burning stoves and their flues, and I have to say it's been excellent, and needed no treatment since. I don't know what temperature the pipe gets to at peak, but it certainly has flame going up it quite often, and it can't be far off dull red. Snags? Well you have the Henry Ford choice of colours: matt black or semi-gloss black.

You can buy Vitreous Enamelled stove pipes here, where the coating is a ceramic fired at about red heat, and those come in a variety of colours, but of course you need a big enough kiln to fire them like pottery. There's quite a range of colours available, and the coatings are very durable. Other than the kiln, the main problem is they're brittle, and wouldn't like going onto flexible metal.

A final comment, there was an article in "The Funnel" last year carrying a contemporary journalist's account of a high-speed sales demo trip in Turbinia: impressive to say the least. She had a pressurised boiler room when running at speed, and a junior seaman standing by to re-paint the funnel and casing after every high-speed trip.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Centurion wrote:I've got a 20 year old boiler with the original black iron dome and stack. What are the options to improve the appearance? Are brass stacks available or practical? What do others do to improve their stack appearance?
Brass or white stacks were popular with the British, as shown in this old post card. As far as the question, "What do others do to improve their stack appearance?" Elbow grease is the obvious answer. A tasteful stack cap is worthwhile as well, along with a polished whistle.
boat trip small.jpg
boat trip small.jpg (123.84 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
IMG_2045cropped small.jpg
Reciproca's stack was capped with a scaled back locomotive style cap, turned out of solid.
IMG_2045cropped small.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
20160630_105035 cropped.jpg
Vividus has a simple half round cap, serving to give the top of the stove pipe stack rigidity, and keep it round. This one is brass, but there is no reason to make it so, it was black with soot within an hour on the lake.
20160630_105035 cropped.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
The stack itself is simply a length of 8" galvanized stove pipe, McMaster #1766K5, and painted with a high heat BBQ spray can. Wiping it down after every operation, and adding a coat of paint every spring will give as good an appearance as needed "at normal viewing distance". When it gets too ratty, throw it out and buy a new one.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.