Blackstaff Boiler - Fuel conversion

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Nell

Blackstaff Boiler - Fuel conversion

Post by Old Steamer » Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am

Does anyone have any experience of converting a Blackstaff 3-drum, WT, boiler from liquid fuel to coal firing? I have my reservations as loss of water in a copper boiler that has immediate fuel cut-off appears less problematic than loss of water in a copper boiler where the fire has to be drawn. However, I believe it has been done.
Any pointers and/or plans would be very welcome.
Thank you.
OS
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Blackstaff Boiler - Fuel conversion

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri May 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Other than what you previous mentioned I don't see any issues with burning solid fuel in a Blackstaffe boiler. I'm sure there are plenty out there that have done it. I think one of the factors in most using liquid fuel is the grate area being more restricted than say a Robert's style boilet due to the coiled tube arrangement, making solid fuel firing a little more challenging.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Wesley,
Thanks for comments. Since penning the above, I have done more research and found that coal-fired Blackstaffes are more common than I thought. All I need now are the plans and if the SBA plans service wakes up, I may have those - I hope. If not I still hope for a response from here. They must be out there somewhere.
OS
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 am

Having some trouble understanding your post. On loss of adequate water level, fire should be pulled or otherwise stopped from producing heat, independent of firing method.
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 am

fredrosse wrote:Having some trouble understanding your post. On loss of adequate water level, fire should be pulled or otherwise stopped from producing heat, independent of firing method.
I think he means it takes longer to damp down a coal fire than turn the fuel off to an oil burner. OK, it does, but the extra time shouldn't be a problem: the key thing is to notice promptly that the water level is too low in the first place.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Sat May 19, 2018 7:08 am

Correct - Shutting off liquid fuel is a matter of closing one valve; drawing a coal fire takes comparatively far longer. Perhaps not so critical with a steel boiler but more so with an all-copper boiler.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sat May 19, 2018 3:25 pm

One thing to keep in mind with a solid fuel firebox, when the fuel door is opened, that in itself is pulling cold air in over the top of the fire which is going to drop the temperature of the flue gas.

-Ron
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Sat May 19, 2018 3:33 pm

To revert to the original question, does anyone have/know where I can acquire plans?