Oil Feed to Main Steam Line

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Oil Feed to Main Steam Line

Post by Mfoxchicago » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:56 am

Good evening, somewhere I was told my cylinder lube oil which feeds from my lubricator up a copper tube, through a very small check valve, then into a fitting that is installed in the main steam line that is supposed to have some sort of "quill" style atomizer.....but mine does not seem to feed through the oil that my pump is delivering. The fitting is rather corroded. Before I tear it up attempting to extract it, can anyone send me a pic of what I need to be looking for on the inside of this assembly.
Attachments
IMG_20181001_223427.jpg
IMG_20181001_223427.jpg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Oil Feed to Main Steam Line

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Mack,

On the hydrostatic oilers there is typically (supposed to be, it's usually missing) a small tube that protrudes out to the center of the steam line. It is cut off on an angle i.e. "quill", the idea is to deliver the oil right in the flow of the steam rather than having it run down the inner side wall of the steam line. In practice, with or without it works.

-Ron
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:09 am

It sounds as though Mack's oil comes from a pressure feed rather than a displacement oiler. In my book this is very good, because displacement oilers in my experience sometimes do work, but often give too much oil and adjusting them down results in none. A metering pump is more reliable. Like Ron, I think if the oil gets into the steam flow, atomising it isn't very important, and it'll get spread around the cylinders and pistons well enough just by running. There is an argument that says if the oil is NOT atomised, it is more likely to stick to cylinder walls, and not just carry on with the steam flow.

I have to say if I had a fitting that looked like the one in the photograph, I'd replace it. There would be no great harm in having a spray end to a new one, but it certainly isn't essential.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mfoxchicago » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:16 am

Thanks for the design insights. My lubricator is a Madison-Kipp Ratchet Drive oiler. The oil is delivering through the sight glass and making it's way up the brass feed tube to the brass check valve, the check valve is clean and operative - but I don't believe any oil is making its way in to the steam line because the sight glass fills with oil. I have reduced the flow rate down to almost nothing. I have tried sticking a very small zip tie up into the fitting that was pictured to try and dislodge any obstruction that might be clogging the quill.

Is there any possibility something could be clogging the quill? I may risk shearing off the old elbow fitting to see what is in the line, but just need to time it right so as to not lose us any operation time. Money is tight. I need her running and not sitting down for repairs just because I have a hair up my ...... you know. But I want to properly lube this 34yo engine so she'll last another 20 years.
Capt. Mack H Fox

Follow us as:
Twitter - @tuleprincess
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Mack,

I would pull that elbow and replace it. Although it looks bad, if it's been used for lubrication, the threads are probably free on it. And of course replace it, that's about a one dollar part.

I was commenting about the "quill" on the hydrostatic oiler above. If the oil is not entering the line and the pump is working, then yes there is some sort of obstruction.

Everyone has different experiences, but all I use are Hydrostatic oilers and they have been very reliable with no moving parts. The way to adjust them is the "oil" valve just cracked off seat. The old directions say one turn, but that was before they were over-tightened a thousand times over the years and the needle and seat were stretched out of shape.

-Ron
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mfoxchicago » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 am

Great council Ron. Thanks.

Now an update - I FINALLY got most all of the old steam welded fitting out. Can't say what type of "quill" I had, if any. Most all of what ever was there had to be drilled out to fit a square extractor bit in there. Prior to drilling, the tiny channel kept getting smaller and smaller as it extended in to the steam line. Nothing like the quill of a fountain pen...??? Now, where can I find or what should I call the part by name to ask the local specialty plumbing guys for....???

Anxious to know more. We're shutting down this weekend due to this issue, but we'll blame it all on the heavy rains we're having in West Texas. Our dock was under 3" of water at 6am and they dropped the lake by 6" by 5pm. We're so blessed for rain just now.

Thanks for the help!!
Capt. Mack H Fox

Follow us as:
Twitter - @tuleprincess
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Judging by the picture you posted, it looks to be simply an elbow connected to the steam line for administering oil, there was no "quill". If that worked, I would just put it back like it was determine the reason the pump is no longer delivering oil. If you look at the pipe threads on left that is the quill which atmoizes the oil in the center of the steam pipe. it's not imerative to have it, most oilers don't have one that I've seen.

-Ron
Attachments
1977387.jpg
1977387.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 5277 times