Triple Expansion Engine - Elliott Bay

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Re: Triple Expansion Engine - Elliott Bay

Post by steamboatjack » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 am

I rather refute “moderately skilled” taking cards is indeed a skill and interpreting the results is even more skilled, If no planometer was available the area could be calculated by “Simpson’s rules”
Regards Jack
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:37 am

I am late to the thread, but a cracking record of said engine being built. Assuming wires are not crossed, I have been in the boat it powers and can confirm it work quite excellently!

Edward wrote:Pressure from the steam engines' cylinder moved a marker (ink or pencil) up and down on the paper card whilst the fall of the crosshead and the subsequent rewinding of the cord by the spring rotated the paper card mounted on the indicators' cylinder backward and forward .

So by looking at the line drawn on the paper card (having removed it from its cylinder) you can see what the pressure is in the engines' cylinder throughout the cycle. By measuring the area enclosed by the line on this diagram the average pressure can be worked out.

By using the indicator a moderately skilled operator could see if his valve events were correct and could work out the power being produced.
Have you had an indicator on Whippets engine? It would be interesting to know what IHP its actually putting out going flat out, and or tethered to the jetty.

Daniel
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Edward » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Dear Daniel ,

I've not had the engine indicated , as you probably saw when it was tested on a brake it produced 6.4 horse-power with a 6' non insulated steam pipe ,150psi at the boiler and no condenser .
In the boat during its first year running we measured 7.9 mph at 425 rpm (approx) with three people on board and 175psi . I think it has loosened up since then , it certainly feels faster , but that could be the usual owners' ill founded over optimism .
I'm not getting a good vacuum , about 12-15 inches , there is certainly a slightly loose connection in the exhaust to the condenser , if I wasn't so lazy I'd find a toit to dismantle that part of the system and reassemble it with a bit of Foliac .

Regards , Edward .
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:46 pm

Edward,

It certainly felt like a fair turn of a speed, how do you determine speed? Slightly easier on a canal as you can time it between miles posts, ideally on a straight ish bit, although I have also got reasonable results from GPS based speed apps on my 'smartphone' once you find one that will give you a decimal place or two rather then assume your going to be doing around 100mph down a quiet stretch of dual carriageway!
Edward wrote:I'm not getting a good vacuum , about 12-15 inches , there is certainly a slightly loose connection in the exhaust to the condenser...
I can certainly empathise with having less vaccume than you want, ours dropped off till last winter we ended up paying (plenty) for someone to remachine the rather worn air pump which improved things but not as much as I would like. We have done a few tests and I think improving the flow rate of the coolant would help, but also fear the condenser has never been large enough to keep up when working hard, I expect your keel cooled so at least had one less pump!

We have tee off the pipe between condenser and airpump, which with a hose stuffed up it will find vaccume leaks faster than most other ways. If obviously also filling the engine with water. Fine as long as your the clear it all with steam.

Daniel
Leon
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Nancy Jean

Post by Leon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:12 am

I have no idea how to navigate this website to post a message. I did find this message regarding indicators as a starting point because it allowed me to post this message. My name is Leon Levasseur and when I lived in Holliston, Ma. I designed and electronic steam indicator using an oscilloscope. It was published on Steamboat News about 30 years ago. I made a video of it in action and I would like to make it available to anyone who is interested. I noticed that some inquires were made about it on the forum, Rolly Evans being one of the inquires, and I didn't have the expertise to make any posting at the time. If someone is able to guide me to respond to some of the info asked about I would like to do so. If I get no response I will try to find the posting and paste them to this site. Thank you. Leon
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Leon, an indicator topic just started, please continue there
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:17 pm

Anyone got a clue as to why I see no images??? :?
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by TriangleTom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:22 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:17 pm
I'm having the same issue. I posted a test in the testing area, is that working for you?
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 pm

TriangleTom wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:22 pm
Mike Rometer wrote:
I'm having the same issue. I posted a test in the testing area, is that working for you?
Hi Tom. I'm now looking with my tablet instead of the desk P.C. and I can see potatoes ;) and pics on here.

This was the only thread that I noticed the missing photo trouble with. I'm not aware of changing any settings on I.E. but that doesn't preclude M.S. doing so with their interfering updates. Unfortunately I cant check the P.C. again until tomorrow.

Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 pm
TriangleTom wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:22 pm
Mike Rometer wrote:
Hi Tom. I'm now looking with my tablet instead of the desk P.C. and I can see potatoes ;) and pics on here.

This was the only thread that I noticed the missing photo trouble with. I'm not aware of changing any settings on I.E. but that doesn't preclude M.S. doing so with their interfering updates. Unfortunately I cant check the P.C. again until tomorrow.

Still the same on here today.

Edit (much Later) I tried again from Firefox instead of I.E. and there I have pictures, looks like an I.E. problem (surprise?)