Boiler Repairs

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Nell

Boiler Repairs

Post by Old Steamer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Can anyone recommend a person/company competent to repair a Blackstaffe boiler and based in Scotland? Despite our heritage, they seem to have gone the way of wooden denture makers and square-wheel turners.
Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Boiler Repairs

Post by Steam Captain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 am

Hello,

I just found "Nicol Boilers" based in Scotland with the startpage.com search engine.

Here is the link to their site with contact information:

http://www.nicolboilers.com/contact-nicol-boilers.html
the arduino version steam engine indicator: https://app.box.com/s/b2i0z3gw6ny3rcfdet5xjg8ubrfu799i - app version coming soon
Excuse my occasional long response time. It's caused by the side effects from ptsd.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Ramon,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my cry for help. I am aware of Nicol's but from past experience they are very expensive and deal only with large industrial boilers. A wee Blackstaffe with its many coils is not something they would look at.
Thanks again,
Barry
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello Barry,

is it an copper or steel barrel? if its copper ask this guy in germany.

Regards Dietrich
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks Dietrich but it's a Scottish based boilermaker I'm looking for.
Cheers,
Barry
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am

I don't know anyone directly who repairs boilers in Scotland, but I'm pretty sure Kevin Slater, our current SBA chairman and owner of Steamwell Boilers (near Gloucester) will know if there is anyone. The advantage of asking Kevin is that being in the business himself, he knows who does a good job at a fair price, and more importantly, who doesn't. The last time I asked, he was fully booked with boilermaking for around a year ahead, so I don't think he'll mind giving out the name of a competitor.

If, by chance, he did have a slot in which your boiler could be repaired, it would be worth considering driving for hours on the M6 etc. to take it to him. Kevin is a very decent man, and would do his best for you, whatever that may be.

If you look on the Steamboat Association website, it lists a couple of boilermakers/repairers in Yorkshire, and one in Derbyshire: nothing further north. That doesn't mean nobody exists in Scotland who could do the work, but it might.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks for your reply. I know Kevin and have mapped out all (?) the reputable operators south of the Border. Inquiries within the Scottish steamboat fraternity have drawn a blank as far as locating somebody I would trust with an all-copper Blackstaffe are concerned. It looks like a trip to the north of England is on the cards.
Regards,
OS
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:56 am

Old Steamer wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am
Thanks for your reply. I know Kevin and have mapped out all (?) the reputable operators south of the Border. Inquiries within the Scottish steamboat fraternity have drawn a blank as far as locating somebody I would trust with an all-copper Blackstaffe are concerned. It looks like a trip to the north of England is on the cards.
Regards,
OS
It isn't painful, honest. I did it years ago. In fact the upper end of the M6 is probably some of our best, scenic wise! :D
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am

Well, I suppose if I took an interpreter and a pointed stick to ward off the natives......
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Old Steamer wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am
Well, I suppose if I took an interpreter and a pointed stick to ward off the natives......
Don't forget your Passport!
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.