VFT tube leak

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: VFT tube leak

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:24 pm

wsmcycle wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm
Mike
Is the only force radial in the repair process? Is the flange only to prevent axial movement of the tube? What creates the flange in the building process? It seems like this roller device mounted in a hammer drill might make a good effect. If the process is simply rotary, what makes the tapered tool move into the tube.
Thanks
Wendell
No hammer! The process is one of gently stretching the material of the tube to a better fit in the hole in the tube plate. The pressure of the roller squeezes the tube against the tube plate and thins it very slightly, which in turn increases it's diameter to improve the fit and close the leak. The rolling motion allows the expander to enter the tube under no more than hand pressure, as the tube expands. It is possible to over-roll and stretch the tube plate as well (not desirable).

https://krais.com/products/boiler-tube-expanders/

They are sometimes power driven but for a small leak I wouldn't.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:01 pm

wsmcycle wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:46 pm
RNoe
what does your roller look like? Please send a pic. I guess you can use it inside the fire box is it pneumatic?
Thanks
Wendell
I borrowed a Friend's commercial tube roller to fit the 5/8" coper flues on my locomotive boiler.
Hand powered it to prevent over-rolling of the tubes.

Here is a drawing showing a tube roller you can make.
A more comprehensive article appeared in Live Steam Magazine, November/December 2003.
I am unable to attach .pdf files here, probably because I am ignorant of that process!
Otherwise, I could attached the article itself.
RussN
Attachments
flue Roller5-8.gif
flue Roller5-8.gif (32.85 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Note that the drawing shows a roller guide slot that is not aligned with the centerline of the guide, thus this is a self feeding tube expander. My commercial expander, for 1-1/4 OD x 0.095 wall boiler tubes is not configured this way.

Want to borrow it? Where are you?
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

Post by wsmcycle » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 pm

thanks all
Mike, what OD would the tubes in this Everett boiler be if the Id is 1.050. All of the expander tool sales want to know this and i cant possibly know.

Fred That is a magnanimous offer to loan. I will if i cannot find one to buy or rent. Perhaps i will use your and make a donation to the forum. If i had one, I would loan it to you.
Thanks

RNoe I see now how the construction expands on the tapered shaft. thanks
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 am

Pleased to be of help.
RussN
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 pm

The popular auction site with the name starting with e and ending in y seems to have a bunch of tube rollers listed, if you're patient you may be able to find the right size

Cheers

Ken
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:18 am

Wicksteeds (https://wicksteed.com/wicksteed-product ... expanders/) make a big range of tube expanders, and while they aren't cheap, you only normally need one for a boiler, and compared with the cost of a new boiler they're not expensive at all. There must be a comparable manufacturer in the US who will supply exactly what you need, rather than relying on Ebay to come up with something about usable.
loggerhogger
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by loggerhogger » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:47 pm

wsmcycle wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 pm
It looks like I have at least two tubes leaking at the rolled flange. I read elsewhere on the forum that "radiator fix" products can stop such leaks. I don't have a tubing expander. If I did, I would try swedging. can I rent one somewhere?
You can often find tube rollers on ebay.
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

Post by wsmcycle » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:27 pm

I have purchased this tool from Elliot tool 320$
I am concerned about sanding the ID of the tube smooth enough for the roller. I have purchased one of those ball tip hones that look like a brush to use after I brush the tube ID.
Thanks for the help
I will report the progress
Attachments
elliot tube exp.JPG
elliot tube exp.JPG (166.24 KiB) Viewed 8406 times
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:23 pm

A tube rolling process note:
When rolling 2" tubes in full-sized boiler it was our practice to make sure there was lube oil where the rollers met the tube.
Same for our smaller boilers.

The specific oil was not an issue. Anything from automotive oil to vegetable cooking oil will work. (The cooking oil smells better on first fire-up...)
This greatly assisted the rolling process, despite being messy. Perhaps it is more important for initial rolling in than for re-rolling to tighten the seal.
RussN