Nuts and Nipples

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Nuts and Nipples

Post by marinesteam » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm hoping some of my friends on the east side of the pond will have some info they'd be willing to share.

I'm looking for drawings on solder type nuts and nipple ends and the mating receiving end. I can't seem to find a source of the parts over here (all Googles lead me to UK sites). So I'd like to make some. I'm probably overthinking it and it's really as simple as they look but I'd like to at least make them to a standard so if I do decide to purchase some later they are interchangeable.

Here is what I'm looking for, size for 1/8 pipe
354-1__3000001__.jpg
354-1__3000001__.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
Cheers

Ken
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Nuts and Nipples

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm

I think the only standard seems to be in the thread sizes, the rest seems to be largely just what you wish/fits. I usually make mine as needed. The smaller sizes are usually M.E. threads, the larger ones BSP (NPT to you guys). The taper on the nipple is around 60degs, but doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference as long as it seals.

I probably have some professional ones in stock but I expect if I measure them there is a fairly wide variation across sources.

The only proviso I would add is, if fixing in a live steam line, always silver solder as the rapid expansion and contraction will break soft soldered joints in fairly short order.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by Mike Rometer on Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:45 pm

It just happens I have ONE commercial one in stock at 1/8". (I don't believe it! :o :o )

Nipple = 0.3225" length OA, Barrel 0.157", max dia 0.213", Head length 0.115", Taper length 0.060", taper inc angle is actually 60degs, which I suppose allows the fitting to be cut with a slocombe (centre drill). I've never found it necessary for the two angles to mate exactly.

Nut = thread 1/4" x 40 M.E. 0.313 A.F. (5/16"). Length 0.250" Nipple bore 0.160". tread depth 0.199". Barrel-nutted both ends (totally unrequired).

Have fun, but I reckon by the time you've made six you'll come to the same conclusion as me, size don't matter much. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Mike Rometer on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:18 pm

Mike, Your awesome!!!!! :D

Thanks so much, I'll draw one up and post a pdf as soon as I can.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:45 am

No worries. See ya next time I'm in Colorado! :lol:

I just corrected a typo above, 5/16" is NOT 0.0313!!!

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:50 am

Here is the proposed design,

Ended up using 3/16 OD copper tube. The center fitting insert through the cap and threads into the bearing cap so It will act as the hold down bolt for the cap as well as the oil channel. I had first tried a banjo style fitting so that the copper tube would enter perpendicular to the hold down bolt, but it looked too modern.

Mike, if your ever in the area you'd be more than welcome to stop in for a chat.
Bearing cap cover.JPG
Bearing cap cover.JPG (81.11 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am

Cheers, I bear it in mind. If we're ever allowed to travel again! We've had several trips cancelled, and probably more to go. Keep safe!