I am starting this thread in the hopes of future advice

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
joe36
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

I am starting this thread in the hopes of future advice

Post by joe36 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm

I am starting this thread in the hopes of future advice.
While I know masses have been written about steam engines and steam design. I will be the first to admit I am ignorant in many ways with other than the fundamentals of steam engines and boilers.
I have been working on a 2”X 2” cylinder mold. The COVID19 thing has stopped most movement. With the shop 14 miles away. I will not see it for a while.
The cylinder is to be used on a conversion that will be brought in further post. This is to be the first of 2 engines. It will be as much a test of building process and casting.

Joe
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: I am starting this thread in the hopes of future advice

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm

Some small thoughts.

A 2 x 2 engine will only drive a fairly small hull. Like maybe a row boat. You will learn a great deal from building an engine of this size but it will have limitations.

A passing thought is that you might start thinking about using this cylinder as the high pressure half of a compound for later design and construction.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of advice and experience here. Where are you located?
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
joe36
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by joe36 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:17 pm

The first one is very close to a model. I have a 12’ flat bottom boat that is under 100 Lb. If It pushes that I would be very happy. I am in northern Indiana USA 46947 and retired 5 years ago with bad health.
I am just beginning to get back to where I think I can start accomplishing a couple of things I have always wanted to do. One is to build a steam engine and then to couple that to a boat.
Most of the work has been on a new foundry. I have not been completely out of the foundry industry in the past 25 years but have not poured metal nor owned a foundry since then.
I have built the standard fuel motor oil furnace and am very close to having a dedicated building at least of use.
The small cylinder will be made for a conversion of an older cast iron air compressor.
This was chosen only because it had a very nice crank and lower end. The piston in the compressor will remain but have vent holes for oil passage. This will bolt to a push rod to the steam cylinder. I have machined a new crank sleeve to increase the length and diameter. The extra length will allow a carriage bearing to follow the eccentric on the crank
The eccentric driving the slide valve will be external to the 2 original crank bearings. Above the compressor will be all new castings. I plan on using gun metal 85-5-5-5 for the alloy and at this time am leaning in the direction of bonded sand.
Joe
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:32 am

"This will bolt to a push rod to the steam cylinder."

On single acting engines using an IC engine lower end (or compressor, same thing), I have machined the steam piston to take a forced fit connecting tube, and machined out the top of the IC engine piston to also take a forced fit of this tube. The connecting tube is rather large diameter, about 75% of the cylinder bore. The bore for the connecting tube is made so that there is adequate metal wall thickness, at least about 1/8 inch, between the tube outside diameter (press fit region) and the piston ring grooves in both the IC engine piston and the steam piston.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:35 am

Alignment of the two cylinder bores must be co-axial with good precision. One solution is to have both pistons running in a single long iron cylinder.
joe36
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by joe36 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:23 pm

The engine you have built from the IC engine sounds interesting. I have plans to build this one along those lines. Instead of a tube connecting the cylinders. I plan on a flange that will be machined to match the new head on the IC engine. Above that I would like to put a 2” X 2” duel actuating cylinder.
I can chuck up anything on this project in my lathe to keep the bores in line if I must but have hope that with some care I will be within tolerance.
Joe