Steam engine from the North Caucasus

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Anastasia

Re: Steam engine from the North Caucasus

Post by Freezerrr12 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Dear DetroiTug! Thank you for the appreciation of my still-built steam engine. I tried several times to make calculations of engine power using different methods, but each time the results were different. I completely trust your estimates, I am interested in the result of this calculation. I expected the power of the steam engine to be between 10 and 15 hp, but I was not sure exactly. I will come back to discuss the project of a steam boat that I would like to build, I hope I can buy a wooden or metal boat hull 26-27 feet long (about 8 meters). But while I continue to make eccentrics, things are going slowly due to the cold and wet weather. Here are some photos.
Attachments
IMG_4181.jpg
IMG_4182.jpg
IMG_4178.jpg
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Dear fredrosse! I apologize for accepting the figures you gave for the steam boat project for the opinion of DetroiTug. My poor English and my inattention are to blame for everything. Even 7-8 years ago, information about steam engines and steam boats could only be found in some magazines. I attach photos of such magazines. The magazines contained general information about large torpedoboat steam engines, which weighed several tons. Cylinder diameters from 280 to 800 mm. and more. I could get the necessary and detailed information about small steam boats and engines only on your website quite recently. The boat hull that can be found in my region can be about 8 meters long and at least 2.5 meters wide. Weight up to 4.5 tons. These are lifeboats made of plastic, which are of little use for the installation of a steam boiler and steam engine. My steam engine is very heavy - over 350 kg. The weight of the boiler, which I have not yet made, will be no less. This is problem. But I hope that this summer I will be able to start making a steam boiler. I have not yet decided what kind of design it will be. Best regards Ingvar.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi Ingvar

Thanks for keeping on posting the stages in your build. It is so nice to see a beautiful engine come together, as with Mike Rometer's build, so please keep going for those of us who are 'arm chair' machinists.

Hope you are getting some warmer temperatures now.

Regards

Pete
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:34 pm

In Russia, I know only one person who, with assistants, built one small steam boat with a steam engine, on which he covered about 25-30 km. In addition, he built on his site a railway and a steam locomotive with carriages in which he carries up to a dozen adult passengers with children. In St. Petersburg there is also a steam boat with wheels, but the steam engine was supplied from a Finnish steamer. The steam boiler was not of the marine type. Both the boiler and the machine were not built. Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_4212.jpg
IMG_4211.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 pm

Greetings to all forum participants! Finally, it has warmed up a little in the Caucasus. I began to visit my workshop more often. I managed to cut two eccentrics, two more in line, next week I will finish work on the eccentrics. For a while, I could not post a photo, the Internet did not work well. I congratulate everyone on the coming spring! Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_4248.jpg
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Interesting eccentric design. I'm confused as to how the two halves are fastened to one another. I see two studs, but no room for nuts?

Ron

That's very good work with no CNC equipment.
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:37 pm

I welcome everyone. Earlier I tried to attach a photo of a drawing of eccentrics. This is an old idea that was used on steam engines in the late 19th century. As soon as I make all the eccentrics, everything will be clear. Nuts are not used in this project. Instead, there are metal wedges. Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_4230.jpg
IMG_4071.jpg
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:42 pm

You are a very clever machinist.

Ron
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Dear DetriTug! Thank you for the appreciation of my abilities. But I'm not a very good mechanic. This method of manufacturing and attaching eccentrics to the shaft was invented in Europe in the 19th century. I am trying to replicate the design of the steam engine at the time. I am attaching a photo of one of the reservoirs, which is located in one of the major cities of the North Caucasus. This is about 240 km. from where I live. But on this lake you cannot ride on steamers. There are many such cities and lakes in them, but such lakes are not suitable for my travels. We'll have to go to the Volga. Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_2764.jpg
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:53 pm

Greetings to the forum participants. I started making clamps for eccentrics. The difficulty was that it was necessary to find the required size bronze blanks with a diameter of about 200 mm. Here's the work that had to be done. I'll try to attach a photo. Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_4335.jpg
IMG_4333.jpg
IMG_4040.jpg