Steam engine from the North Caucasus

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Anastasia

Re: Steam engine from the North Caucasus

Post by Freezerrr12 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:55 pm

Greetings to all forum participants. I can tell you that I am gradually continuing the construction of my steam engine. But somehow very gradually. I confess that this project took a lot of my efforts, a lot of time and money. Now I don't even have the opportunity to start repairing my workshop, I hasten to finish my project. But my dream of my own steam boat does not give me long breaks from work on the project. Recently I finished some details, photos of which I hope will be of interest to forum participants. Perhaps I will get some useful advice from you. I read with great interest everything that the forum participants wrote about the practical use of steam engines and the construction of steam boilers.
Attachments
IMG_4001.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Greetings to steam boat enthusiasts. I try to work on my project 2-3 times a week. This opportunity is given by restrictions on my main job in connection with COVID-19. Photo of bronze bearings with oil channels for the crankshaft. Earlier I reported that I purchased several tens of meters of 1 - inch pipes for a steam boiler. The metal from which the tubes are made contains manganese impurities. I ask any of the forum participants to answer the question: is it possible to use such pipes in a steam boiler?
Attachments
IMG_3997.jpg
IMG_3998.jpg
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:36 am

I welcome all the participants of the Steamship Forum. I am continuing to work on my steam engine. Today he continued working on the spool box for a high-pressure cylinder with a diameter of 170 mm. This work is not finished yet, there is a need to lighten the spool box, which I will be doing for several days. In the meantime, I have modeled on the benches how everything will look like, I can't wait to assemble the entire cylinder block. I found it very interesting Oilking's video about replacing damaged tubes in a water tube steam boiler. This video shows a steam drum with very thick walls. In the drilled holes, thin water-heating tubes are fixed (expanded). I found a steam drum about 14 "in diameter and 3/4" thick. I ask any of the forum participants to share their opinion, will such a thickness of the steam drum be sufficient to fix (expand) thin tubes with a diameter of 1 inch in it, without using welding? I am in no doubt that thin tubes containing manganese impurities cannot be properly attached to the steam drum by electric welding. Thanks for any possible recommendations. Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_2719.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:59 am

Ingvar,

This is very good work you are doing and thank you for sharing it with us.

Schedule 20 pipe that size will have less than half that thickness. For a boiler shell, it's best to buy it with some sort of certification and know that it is soft ductile iron and not heat treated or cast iron or some alloy that is brittle.

-Ron
Attachments
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 54699 times
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:57 pm

Greetings to all forum participants. Thanks to DetroiTug for appreciating my work and giving me advice on promoting my project. Unfortunately, winter has come and my workshop does not have the necessary heating. It is cold now, although three weeks ago it was 15 degrees Celsius during the day. Herds of deer were running five kilometers from the city. Quite tame. DetroiTug sent me a table for the correct steam drum selection. Thanks for the information, it will be useful to me. I found a pipe 12 "in diameter and 33" long, with a wall thickness of 3/4 "(about 20 mm.) Mild steel pipe. This is not cast iron. I also found two pipes 6 3/4 "in diameter and 2/3" wall thick (about 17 mm). These pipes are also mild steel. I'm not sure, but I hope that they can be used to make a Yarrow water tube steam boiler. A steam boiler of the Ofeldt system, for me, is difficult to manufacture because of the spiral (like a spring) hot water pipes. I am not sure of success because of the small volume of the steam drum, and perhaps the forum members will share their advice on whether such a pipe 33 inches long and 12 inches in diameter is sufficient size. I will try to post their photos. Thanks for all supportive comments.
Attachments
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4010.jpg
Изображение 022.jpg
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:14 am

Ingvar,

With the thickness of those tubes, pressure holding will NOT be an issue. Weight, yes. Ability to take pressure, no.

My boiler's main tube is 460mm in diameter and 10mm wall thickness and my relief valve is set for 9 bar. I hydro test it regularly to 16 bar.

As I said, a big disadvantage of those tubes will be the over all weight of the boiler. They would take the pressure needed for scuba diving air storage.

Mikhail
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:25 am

I second Mike's sentiments. Albeit probably not in line with 'code', those are more than capable handling the normal pressures us in the hubby steam world see.

Those are certainly friendly deer! Are they beeing fed by people?
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:16 pm

Dear Mikhail. Your opinion on the thickness of the steam drum walls sufficient to hold the loose tubes at high pressure (over 250 psi) is encouraging. So is the opinion of TahoeSteam. I think I know how to reduce the heavy weight of the steam drum. Everything was invented long ago. I have attached two drawings. At the end of the 19th century, such a design of Yarrow boilers was widely used on Russian torpedo boats of the Sokol type. ships were built at the д factories in the UK. On a large milling machine-mill or planer, you can reduce the wall thickness of the steam drum in its cut-in part to 12 -13 mm. With a steam drum length of 1100 mm. you can reduce its weight by 37-38 kg. The deer in the photo are really fed by people in winter. The herd of these deer is not kept in the enclosure. In the summer they graze like herds of cows, but at a great distance from settlements. In autumn and winter, people are allowed to come to them. They are almost tame.
Attachments
IMG_4030.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 54522 times
Изображение 023.jpg
IMG_4023.jpg
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:36 am

I would worry about the transition from thick to thin on the large tube. At least make sure there is no sharp corner where the stress will concentrate. Maybe better to simply find a big enough lathe to reduce it's thickness all the way around the circumference.

Any time there is a variation in the flexibility of a tube there will be a concentration of stress at the point of change. Perhaps the boiler will be so stiff that it won't matter. I an not a mechanical engineer.

Mikhail (Mike or Michael in english)
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:06 pm

Dear Mike, your advice on how to avoid stress concentration in the transition from thick to thin, I find valuable to me and I will implement it in the manufacture of a steam boiler. A large lathe is not a problem for me, I have already posted a photo where I use such a machine to make a flywheel. But I still have a concern about the insufficient thickness of the boiler wall for loosening small water pipes with a diameter of 25 mm in it. I find that the use of welding inside the boiler for this is excluded due to the small diameter of the steam boiler - 260 mm. I plan to make the boiler in the spring and summer of 2021. Now my main task is to finish the manufacture of the steam engine. Yesterday I was making eccentrics. A few photos. Thank you for the correct advice. Ingvar.
Attachments
IMG_4029.jpg
IMG_4025.jpg