Steam engine from the North Caucasus

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Anastasia

Re: Steam engine from the North Caucasus

Post by Freezerrr12 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 pm

The bronze rails are secured with 10 mm screws. to steel columns that have a hard surface. The crosshead, with its bronze shoe, should slide over the surface of these columns. Crank rotation - left, counterclockwise. Perhaps the forum members will advise me on how to apply olive oil to the columns or to the crosshead shoes. I am aware that lubrication channels can be made on the surface of the columns. What are the best shapes for these channels?
Attachments
IMG_3959.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg
IMG_3957.jpg
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 am

Hello,

looks very very good. Are there any oil grooves in the columns or will you machine them?

Best Dietrich
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:57 am

Dear dampfspiler., Your question: "Are there any oil grooves in the columns or will you machine them?" Is the exact question and this is my question. I would like to receive advice on the shape and dimensions of the olive channels on steel columns. maybe you or other forum members will give me such advice. Thank you for your feedback. Currently busy with the construction of a steam engine and nothing else. The construction of a steam boiler is a matter for the distant future. I can say that I really liked your work on the steam engine. The quality and beauty of your work is still unattainable for me. My steam engine looks (will look) much rougher. But the photo of your steam engine and condenser will be a guide for me.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:13 pm

Here are the original guides from our 1909 Doty Compound, and the new guides we made. We just used an indexable milling cutter to cut the groves about 1 mm deep. (Sorry for the photobucket watermark. They're holding my photos hostage.)
20140329_195144_zpsufc26y1x.jpg
20140329_195144_zpsufc26y1x.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 81933 times
20140329_195129_zps06lhxjwd.jpg
20140329_195129_zps06lhxjwd.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 81933 times
20140621_133239_zps8tezqkcd.jpg
20140621_133239_zps8tezqkcd.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 81933 times
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks to TahoeSteam for the advice on the shape of the olive grooves that can be made on the columns. I confess that I have seen a similar design. In one of the books published in Russia on the construction of steam engines, there was information that the olive grooves made on the columns lead to the rapid and severe wear of the bronze shoes on the crossheads. Therefore, I am not yet relieved of doubts about the need to make oil channels on the guide columns. I saw a drawing in one of the books where diamond-shaped oil channels were made on bronze crosshead shoes. The oil was supplied from above through one straight oil channel made exactly in the middle on the guide column. A similar design was used on steam locomotives. Are any of the forum participants familiar with such a design on steam engines of boats?
Attachments
IMG_1106-01-04-18-12-47.jpg
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Wes & fellow steamboaters

On the topic of the Photobucket theft of our photos, there is a solution which does not involve cash payment to them. The Firefox Web Browser appears to have some kind of tweek that excludes their attempted copyright marking on one's photos. So, if your photos are only on Photobucket, you can retrieve them through Firefox. I do not know if that also works for using Firefox to log into PhotoBucket, but it does work for linked photos from them to this site. You can then retrieve them with right click/SaveImageAs.

Good to see the progress you are making Freezerr12. Well done!

Regards

Pete
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Dear dampfspieler, PeteThePen 1, RNoe, oilking and all steam engine enthusiasts. I thank you for your technical support. Dampfspieler posted a very useful photo for me of meek eccentric rods driving the wings. I hesitated to make these rods short, but now I see that they work great. The slit width of my stage is 24 mm. that is, about 1 inch. I think that this is not enough, it is necessary to increase the width of the Bolle slot 31-32 mm. Are there any recommendations on this issue? I can inform the forum participants that the final installation of the columns was not easy and had to resort to grinding work. I posted a photo of this process. What will be the shape of the oil channels, I have not yet decided. The opinion of one of the forum participants that gaskets are needed under the bronze guide rails, I took as a guide to action. Do the forum participants have information on how quickly the bronze shoe of the crosspiece (crosshead) wears out and how many hours of work will render the crosspiece unusable? PeteThePen 1's warning about photo theft remains unclear to me. Does it make sense to post other photos on the site?
Attachments
IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3983.jpg
PHOTO-2019-04-11-20-55-40.jpg
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:34 am

I beg your pardon for my English. I had to write about the width of the stephenson link slot -24mm. I think that this is a small size, 31-32 mm should be made, for the purpose of more reliable and durable operation of this mechanism.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:38 am

On journal bearings, the oil grooves are cut on the softer metal, the Babbitt metal rather than the steel shaft. I would think the same rule would apply to the crosshead, with a steel surface having no oil grooves, ??
Freezerrr12
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Freezerrr12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:08 pm

I greet the participants of the shipping forum. I find many of your technical guidelines very useful for my project. I find fredrosse's opinion on the arrangement of oil lubrication channels on the traverses and crossheads the most acceptable for my project. The traverses on my steam machine have a certain hardness, in fact they have been heat treated. Thank you all for the high marks of my project. However, I understand that I am a beginner with no practical experience in building steam engines. If I could have read this forum before, I would have done some of the details differently. Dear Kelly Anderson, thank you for your recommendations. I would like to point out that your technical level and skill, I find unattainable for me. You are a professional and I am just an amateur. I am very sorry that earlier I could not get acquainted with your technical creativity and scientific training, only recently I found your photos on the forum. Making a crankshaft from one piece of metal is, I admit, the most complex technical detail. The crankshaft of my steam engine consists of three parts, I have no exact idea of ​​its reliability, although it turned out to be very massive and thermally treated. I can show a video about the first revolutions of this crankshaft, maybe it will seem interesting.