Vacuum gauge location

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
ccdewitt
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Precious Bane

Vacuum gauge location

Post by ccdewitt » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:32 am

Another question: I should like to put a vacuum gauge on my condenser. So where do I tap into the system? If I were to tap in just before the thru hull below the engine exhaust, I imagine I would see a lot of bounce in the gauge from the exhaust pulses. If it were tapped into the air pump side would I see bounce from the air pump. Which is worse. I plan to use a snubber before the gauge and a long pig tail to the gauge to soften any gauge bounce. Again, Thanks.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Vacuum gauge location

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:04 am

Hi Chris,

I believe nearest to the exhaust if the engine will give you the most accurate measurements. A snubber or valve can throttle pulses down to nearly imperceptible and be of no consequence to your gauge. Also, being on the "hot" side of the condenser there's less of a chance of things being filled with water and becoming a PITA to drain for freezing winter temps.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 am

A bit off topic but when doing a winter drain I have given up on compressed air. Besides multiple disconnects in the piping and a final warming of the boiler, I have made an adapter fitting for my wet or dry shop vacuum that includes a short length of clear tubing.

Volume rather than pressure is the trick. And being able to see when there is no more water being sucked out is a great help. I use this as well on my house water piping when the drizzle sets in and I flee to Mexico for the Winter.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:14 am

Hi,

best position to connect the vacuum gauge is near the output of the condenser.

Here some pics of rainers solution. He has installed a inbord condenser followed by an condensate collecting reservoir. The gauge is connected at the far end of the reservoir.

(all pics offered at https://steamboating.de/emma/dampfboot-emma-0130.php)

--
Dietrich
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by TriangleTom » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:15 am

Dietrich, that is a gorgeous engine!
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:34 am

Gauge snubbers are somewhat expensive.

To dampen pulsations on a condenser line, use a long piece of silicone tubing, the elastic nature of the tubing will act like a damper (snubber) to decrease the magnitude of pulsations. Silicone is good for condenser temperatures. Small tubing, about 3mm inside diameter, coiled with about 2 M of tubing will help, although the amount of snubbing action depends on engine and condenser.

Adding a small reservoir between the tubing and gauge will further the damping action, about 4 inches of common 1/2 inch pipe will almost eliminate all pulsations.