Stress in a Boiler Shell

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Stress in a Boiler Shell

Post by fredrosse » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:14 am

In the industrial power generation realm, watertube boiler drums generally require much thicker sections where the tubes pierce the drum. This is because the costs of materials justify making the wall thickness of the drum variable, and as small as practical. The scale of these boilers is far removed from our steamboats, as illustrated in a few photos that follow:
Attachments
LargerWTB Drum.jpg
LargerWTB Drum.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:23 am

Another example, showing the size of a typical utility power generation boiler drum. These boilers typically operate above 2400 PSI (164 Atmospheres), and produce a few million pounds per hour steam flow. This photo is taken inside the drum of a large boiler. Note the personal safety equipment, steel toe sandals, clear plastic helmets, etc.
Attachments
InsideBigDrum.jpg
InsideBigDrum.jpg (123.07 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Last edited by fredrosse on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:27 am

Delivery of a large boiler drum. The power output from this steam plant is roughly enough to run about 300,000 typical steam launches which require about 3 horsepower each.
Attachments
boiler-drum-and-its-internals-20-638.jpg
boiler-drum-and-its-internals-20-638.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:31 pm

fredrosse wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:05 am
The stresses in the vicinity of the extra holes are higher, but still sufficiently low as to not require increased wall thickness.
True. In our small sizes any additional thickness needed is often covered by extra material provided by a corrosion allowance anyway.

Take my example of a Blackstaffe given above. For that steam drum, the i.d. is 5.046" and at 150, psi, the stress at an efficiency of 100% is only 1,466 psi. In mild steel, stress in the boiler shell up to 15,000 psi could be tolerated, which means a wall thickness of only .025 could by rights do the job. In the worst case with the holes drilled in the drum, the efficiency is 38%, meaning the minimum wall thickness needed rises to a whopping .066, leaving us .192 extra for corrosion. I think we can sleep at night.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
tandemcompound
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: ST Mariana

Post by tandemcompound » Fri May 28, 2021 7:13 pm

after welding a Vertical fire tube boiler, will it need to be stress relieved?
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Sat May 29, 2021 1:05 am

When made of less than 3/4" thick steel, stress relief is not required, but isn't a bad idea.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon May 31, 2021 3:51 am

The main shell of my locomotive boiler is just about right for a diver's air tank. It would easily take a few thousand pounds pressure. A589, 45,000 psi strength. 10" dia., .37" wall calculates out to 3330 psi. I think at 150 p.s.i. rating it will suffice.

I selected it for low expense and as much weight as possible as the tractive effort of a locomotive is proportional to it's weight. I cheat to add weight everywhere it doesn't show.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama