Stiff 1" Everlasting 4000-A Everlasting 250psi Blowdown Valve

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Stiff 1" Everlasting 4000-A Everlasting 250psi Blowdown Valve

Post by Mfoxchicago » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 am

Good evening Steamboaters,

Capt. Mack here. TULE's 1" Everlasting 4000-A Blowdown Valve is getting really, REALLY stiff. It can still be cycled, but is really stiff. Considering the valve's outstanding design, if I were able to access the outflow side of the valve blade with spray lubricant (WD-40 or penetrating oil), would that improve the situation? TULE is 37yo this June. The valve has been in service for at least 17 years or possibly a max of 37 years. There are no log notes indicating when this valve was installed or last serviced.

New 1" Everlasting 4000-A blown down valves are WAY expensive and we are struggling to keep here operating for excursions and charters in this age of COVID. I would like to find an affordable unit to replace with the same. Considering the age and surface corrosion of the housing bolts & nuts, I am doubtful I can remove the bolts without shearing them off IF I was going to attempt to open up the unit and install a refurbishing kit. Was thinking that if TULE has received approx 17-to-37 years of service from that valve, it might best be time to replace it.

Your thoughts about trying to get some lubrication to the back side of the valve blade?

Anyone out there that might have or know of someone who can assist me in locating a 1" Everlasting 4000-A 250psi Blowdown Valve that I can acquire AS AFFORDABLY AS POSSIBLE?

Thanks Guys,
Capt. Mack
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Re: Stiff 1" Everlasting 4000-A Everlasting 250psi Blowdown Valve

Post by RNoe » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:00 pm

My experience with Everlasting blow down valves was on steam locomotives in tourist service.
Part of annual maintenance was to remove the valve for disassembly and servicing/rebuild, EVERY year.
That was standard Class 1 US railroad maintenance. Food for thought.

I even perform similar servicing on the 1/8 scale blowdown valves on my steam locomotives.
Sorry the photo is not so clear.

I would remove your valve for that complete rebuild. You might find it in better condition than you think.
RussN
317 Blowdown fitting.jpg
317 Blowdown fitting.jpg (186.86 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:16 pm

Thanks Russ. Excellent suggestion. As solidly built as the Everlasting valve design is, I would venture to say removal, internal build, then reinstalling with new male nipples (which are always the weaker link where it comes to corroded parts) and the valve might work as good as new. Nice suggestion to service annually.

A rebuild kit only costs $200+.

Thanks Russ.
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:59 pm

What is your operating pressure? On the Margaret S. I have used ordinary Nibco 150 PSI SWP ball valves for blowdown service, still holding up well after ten years service. These cost a few dollars, and even if you need to replace them every few years, the cost is far below the Everlasting $$.

General practice is to have two valves in series for blowdown, one "quick opening" and another, I assume, for reliable isolation if the "quick opening" valve is leaking or stuck partially open.

The older style blowdown valves are, in my opinion, obsolete for service at or below 150 PSI, as the very inexpensive ball valves can do the job at a small fraction of the cost. I use them for my engine inlet/throttle valve also, constantly opening and closing, still working properly for ten years.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:51 am

Mfoxchicago wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 am
Your thoughts about trying to get some lubrication to the back side of the valve blade?
Spraying lube in would free up the valve, but only until the first time it is used under steam. It is an all iron valve, and thus prone to rust. The best way to keep it happy is to work it every day, and when down for layup, always leave it in the closed position. You don't want the rust ring forming with the valve open, where it intersects the seat. Also, position the valve so the pipe connections are at the 6 o'clock position, with the bulk of the valve above the pipe. If you position it with the pipe at say 8 o'clock or higher (like the photo of the live steam locomotive), the low spot can fill with scale and mud which can tear up the seat, and serve to keep the inside of the valve wet and more prone to rust, not to mention possibly prevent the valve from closing one day.

Fred has a good point, Teflon seated ball valves work well in blowdown service. I Follow Dick Mitchell's advice, and put two valves in line for insurance. If you have trouble trusting ball valves, make the first valve outside of the boiler a bronze gate valve with a non-rising stem that you leave open except for emergencies, and use the down stream ball valve as your daily blowdown.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:30 pm

I have 1" stainless ball valves with a locking arm and a keyed lock so they aren't accidentally opened in service when I am not using these ball valves. I haven't had any troubles with these ball valves.

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:34 pm

Cyberbadger, good point about the locking valves, especially since they can so quickly be opened. If there is a chance that a novice passenger might open one, disaster could rapidly follow, depending on where the discharge lines are configured. Hot blowdown can be much more dangerous than live steam

If you have "try cocks"on your boiler, notice that live steam issue feels cool to the hand (as long as your hand is not too close!) while the submerged try cock issues nasty hot water/steam.