Service bolt in the cylinder cover

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Service bolt in the cylinder cover

Post by dampfspieler » Mon May 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi,

my little STUART Launch twin need an extra drip of steam oil into the cylinder after running, but there was no possibility to do it. So i drilled through the cylinder cover and cut an M5x0.5 mm thread.
While running the engine it is closed with a hexagonal bolt with a special TEFLON seal. This is supported on the outside by a brass ring that is slightly flatter than the seal. It ist steamtight and it is possible to open by hand after running.

Some pics.
SLT464kl.jpg
SLT464kl.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
SLT465kl.jpg
SLT465kl.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
SLT467kl.jpg
SLT467kl.jpg (110.37 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
Best Dietrich
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Re: Service bolt in the cylinder cover

Post by RNoe » Mon May 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Nice maintenance solution for a nice engine!
RussN
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Mon May 24, 2021 4:45 pm

A bit of compounded cylinder oil on shutdown really helps keep the rust monster away. This is a nicer solution than the 1/8" pipe plugs I used... one might even devise a wooden handle/knob to allow doing it while the engine is still warm.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu May 27, 2021 6:17 am

I like the idea of a decent sized hole for such lubrication. I have a question though.

I have no cylinder oil on my boat. I have had good service with steam lubrication. But I DO wish to lubricate my cylinders between periods of use.

I wonder if the oil I use for external engine lubrication would work adequately? It's just chain lubricant for a gasoline chain saw. If not, I would be up for changing my external lube oil so that it could do double duty.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Thu May 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Mike:
I have the same concern with my Blackstaffe steeple compound engine. ANY oil getting from the engine into the hot well would be bad.
So what oil would preserve the engine, and then "wash away" so as not to get into the boiler?
I don't have a way to pipe the exhaust directly to atmosphere without going through the condenser under the hull.

Then again, internal disassembly and inspection of the engine after 50+ years of operation showed no rust problems!
Maybe best to just leave it alone...
RussN
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Thu May 27, 2021 9:14 pm

Since the oil in the cylinder will end up in the condenser and hotwell, something easy to remove is best (e.g. not compounded - no animal fats). However, compounded oils stick best, and are easy (600W) to obtain in 5 gallon pails. The latter is also an excellent lube for indexing heads, etc.

Absent something better, way oil or chainsaw bar oil works well, and has tackifiers to help it stick.
A bit of TSP in the boiler helps.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri May 28, 2021 3:14 am

Dietrich,

You're very good at making things. A permanent solution for this and condensing systems is a double valve tallow cup. Cup on top to place oil, originally tallow that would melt, then two taper valves in line and threaded into the cylinder head. Place oil in bowl, close the bottom valve, open the top valve, oil runs in, close the top valve, open the bottom valve and the oil goes in the cylinder, close both valves (cocks). Works while the engine is running as often as you want. Easy lathe job.

My engine has single valve cups with a threaded cap. Works the same way.

Some use the one shot ''elephant foot'' oilers in the steam line and give it a shot at shutdown.

Ron
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Fri May 28, 2021 6:53 am

Ron,

thank you for your suggestions. Because the engine will work in a little loco there is too little space for cup oilers.

Here a sketch without any dimensions to show the principle of the bolt.
Servicebolzen_Zylinderkopf_kplt_20210528.png
Servicebolzen_Zylinderkopf_kplt_20210528.png (17.83 KiB) Viewed 4437 times

Dietrich
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Sat May 29, 2021 4:48 pm

Well done! I installed a similar set up on the engine in my Vividus, except for having cylindrical sealing with an o-ring in place of the face sealing that you used. No need to wrench tight with cylindrical sealing.

I make a point of turning the prop regularly when she is laid up, and any time I feel the resistance to turning increase, she gets a few drops of oil. My only regret is that I didn't install two more cups over the slide valves.
20210529_120816.jpg
20210529_120816.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.