Renewing Babbit Bearing

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Re: Renewing Babbit Bearing

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:50 am

dampfspieler wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:39 am
The bars will probably not have been original.
The bars are original, the grain is very specific and matches the other parts.

What isn't original is that this engine was originally in a car, the engine hung below the chassis.

The original reversing lever came up through the floor of the car and had a different linkage to the reversing handle.

Those parts disappeared long ago. There are a few complete Toledo steam carriages on Earth, but I haven't seen one in person.

The man who prepared the engine 50+ years ago was a steamboater. He prepared this engine as a spare engine ready to put in a steam launch. Unfortunately he passed before he could make use of it. His widow sold it to a man who had it behind glass in a heated area for 40years in Florida.

-CB
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Re: Renewing Babbit Bearing

Post by marinesteam » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:49 pm

In railroad terminology I believe that would be called a "lifting link"

John York has the equivalent of that part named "drag link" on my prints.

The slot was probably needed on the original installation to prevent binding due to a geometric constraint of some sort or possibly to make the throw of the control arm fit to some other mechanism at the input end.

Cheers

Ken

cyberbadger wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:00 pm
Kelly Anderson wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:35 am
What is the diameter of the pin vs. the width of the slot?
1/4"pin. The slot is slightly wider, maybe 0.010" wider.

I think the slot shouldn't really be a slot, it should probably just be a 1/4" hole. On the otherside it is hole that should be around 0.320".

Likely whoever made this past repair did not have the time or skill to do better.
Kelly Anderson wrote:
What part of the Stephenson valve gear are these?
I'm not sure I know the correct name. These are the the rods that pull the expansion links forward and backward. The other end is connected to the shaft that is what the reversing lever rotates the 1/4 turn or whatever angle that is.
*Note only 1 of 2 installed in the image below*
Kelly Anderson wrote:
... Are you sure that they aren't parts for something else that are meant to have that amount of lost motion? Perhaps pressed into service on Stephenson Valve Gear as a stop gap?
The grain on the castings matches the grain on the other parts in this engine. They do not appear to be identical castings to any other parts.

I understand the concept of an adjustable wristpin. It is probably beyond my machining abilities to achieve. There also doesn't appear to be the space to accommodate an adjustable wrist pin.

-CB