Mono-tube steam generators - special adaptations

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Mono-tube steam generators - special adaptations

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 pm

Hi Bart & Steamboating Friends

Yes, I gather condensation is a serious problem. I have been told by a mono-tube boilered SBA Member that he has now given up on his water separator as it was tending to cause condensation of the steam and act rather like a condenser. One wonders if the Hereschoff system had that problem. Anyway the same correspondence reported that there is a thermocouple at the start of the 'superheater' coils and at the end so that an eye can be kept on whether the temperature is getting too high. Apparently too much superheat and the boiler becomes unstable.

I am grateful for all the extra information that everybody has been feeding me as it is all interesting but rather shows that what I thought was a thorough literature search is far from it. The dilemma is how much more to chase up and read to incorporate in the article. Will it add anything important or merely corroborate what has been discovered?

Going back to Fred's questions about the boiler, I don't have more answers yet but here is the CAD picture to date:

Johns Boiler 1.jpg
Johns Boiler 1.jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

Regards

Pete
Last edited by PeteThePen1 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: Mono-tube steam generators - special adaptations

Post by barts » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 pm

The Herreshoff system was used on fairly good size power plants; this meant that condensation losses were significantly less. Example 6x10.5x10, with boiler tubing at 2" diameter.

https://www.herreshoff.info/Docs/AuxDoc ... 80-287.pdf
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA