Steam powered outboard?

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Elver1
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Steam powered outboard?

Post by Elver1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:54 am

I remember reading online about a steam powered outboard motor back in the early 2000's that I'd really like to see again. But for the life of me I can't find it any more. It's not the Mounster outboard, which is easy to find. I think it was located in the Pacific NW USA. In one reference I think I remember the builder saying he could even use pine cones and twigs found onshore to fire it temporarily if needed. I don't remember if it was monotube fired, possibly not.

Does this seem familiar to anyone here?

Thanks!
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: Steam powered outboard?

Post by barts » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:12 am

This is likely Terry William's steam outboard. Image search on Terry Williams steam outboard will return some hits.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Elver1
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Elver1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:50 am

Yes, that's it! Thank you, Bart.
Elver1
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Elver1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:07 pm

There's not much left online about Terry Williams steam outboard, but I did find a reference to some coverage in Steamboating bulletin #43. I can't find an issue of that anywhere. Does anyone here have a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by barts » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:21 pm

Elver1 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:07 pm
There's not much left online about Terry Williams steam outboard, but I did find a reference to some coverage in Steamboating bulletin #43. I can't find an issue of that anywhere. Does anyone here have a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
I've located my copy; I'll scan it in when I have a chance (e.g. not working); I may be able to OCR this as well.

- Bart
-------
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by barts » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:08 pm

I took pictures of the article; they may be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y4gNsGZxe9zGdHNN7

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you.

- Bart
-------
Elver1
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Elver1 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:51 am

Thanks so much barts! I was able to read it by downloading and zooming -- a little blurry, but legible.

Interesting that he also built the engine using machine tools in a steam powered shop! I know that he was able to increase power and speed quite a lot later. I believe it was eventually 8 hp equiv and started out at 2hp. I wonder if he changed lower units, as he said he was having problems the the original in the above artcile. Torque much higher. He admired the hydroplane racing OB lower ends for possible use w/steam and said they had a 1:1 gear ratio.

I think if I were to build an engine, something similar is what I'd try. I know his were dual poppet valve, cam operated. His later exhaust was funnel shaped.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by barts » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:11 pm

The engineering involved was quite tricky; when racing the steam conditions were sometimes 800F and 800 PSI iirc. The megaphone exhaust was quite loud; if you make a steam outboard perform like a two-stroke, it sounds like one too, I guess :)

Note that this level of performance in the steam outboard required both an exceptional boiler and an exceptional engine. It didn't hurt that Terry has an engineering degree from MIT, and that knowledge combined w/ a lot of experience working on steam engines helped make this successful. There was a lot of trial and error debugging, however; with steam temperature and pressure varying wildly during runs, it's difficult to predict loads, etc.

My experience with 'ragged edge' designs suggests that one not venture further from shore than one can row with such devices... or at least, have a friend along in another boat with some line for towing. Of course, my ideal steam boating experience is more like this; we're a couple of miles out steaming through the Salish Sea on a warm summer afternoon...
IMG_20170730_185407(1).jpg
IMG_20170730_185407(1).jpg (190.63 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
- Bart
-------
Elver1
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Elver1 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:41 am

Well, thanks Bart, I don't expect this to be easy and any particular practical result assured. But it is something that has fascinated me for a long time, and that's a good reason to doit. I don't mind failing at things as long as it was interesting challenge to explore. The boat will have oarlocks, and a set of oars. I row all the time. Plus an anchor, the traditional symbol of hope.