Hypro pumps

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.S. Zeltic

Hypro pumps

Post by dhic001 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:36 pm

Hi guys,
Not been around for awhile, isn't that the nature of forums at times?
It appears that hypro pumps may no longer be being made, which is a great shame, as they are fantastic wee things. Does anyone know of someone that has 5330 service kits still, or even a complete new pump, that will ship outside the states? Often hard to get things down here in New Zealand.
Has anyone come up with a replacement for the hypro, or are we back to making our own pumps again?
Cheers, Daniel
Petel
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Chimera II

Re: Hypro pumps

Post by Petel » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:05 pm

Not sure if they will post to NZ, but in the UK I managed to get a spares kit from 'All pumps direct'.

https://www.allpumpsdirect.co.uk/Hypro- ... ESC&page=3
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:17 pm

Daniel,

Looks like this person has new pumps for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... &_osacat=0

Ron
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:02 pm

This is too bad; these Hypro pumps have been a reliable solution for many years. With some luck, replacement parts should be available for a long time as there are a very large number of these units in service. Hypro, Cat and Comet all make more complex triplex pumps (with attendant higher prices) that are suitable for boiler feed pumps. A DIY geared down single piston pump works as well; the usual problem is getting rid of the knock due to clearances in the linkage driving the pump. For slower speed steam engines, a cross-head driven pump is also an option.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:44 pm

I have been using Hypro two cylinder pumps for boiler feed since the late 1970s, and they have generally worked well, provided a fine strainer is fitted on the suction to keep dirt out of the pump's internal check valves. Surplus Center has been selling them for $125US recently, a good low price. Retail price is far more than that!

Presently I am using ordinary pressure washer pumps for boiler feed service. These are under $100 on Amazon, and are rated at a few thousand PSI, far more than any of us need for our steamboats. A typical pressure washer pump is rated at 2.5 USGPM at 3600 RPM. One GPM equals 500 PPH. That translates to 52PPH at 150 RPM, 104PPH at 300 RPM, 156PPH at 450 RPM etc. This is the typical vicinity of feed we need on a steamboat. If anyone is interested please contact me about the details of using a pressure washer pump for boiler feed service.