Buying used stuff

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Buying used stuff

Post by farmerden » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 am

In another part of this forum we were discussing the cost of a steamboat and I brought up buying a used one.Just because someone else was using the treasure you have hauled home doesn't make it safe! If you have any doubts contact another steamer who will gladly assist you in your first start-up. I recently bought a boat in pieces with a new boiler.When I had everything dumped on the floor of my shop I noticed a few things that weren't correct with the boiler.I have no idea why it is this way [it was an estate sale] he might of just bin mocking it up I dunno but I'll pass the pics along and maybe the newby's and lurkers can join in with a guess. After all we're all in this together!!Image
Image[/img]
87gn@tahoe

Re: Buying used stuff

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:57 am

good suggestion Den.

#1 issue I see with that setup is the valve and the "take-off" before the safety :shock: (safety valve should only be plumbed directly from boiler with no valves or "leaks" in-between).

then there's the redonkulous plumbing for the injector (should work, just not as well as it should)

Also, I hope that is the intake for the hand feed pump that is just missing the rest of the pick-up...
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by csonics » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 am

Den,
I'm still learning so I can't give much insight on the proper way to plumb a boiler but I'm curious about the hull behind it. Is that the hull that came with? Do tell!

-Mike
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot

Post by farmerden » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:30 am

That's right Mike .There's a better picture of the hull under "General Steamboat Stuff". And behind the green hull is the "Steam Queen"
You're right as well Wes .Why someone would have a valve before the pressure relief valve? Maybe they were going racing!! Kinda like putting a gun to your head isn't it? Also they used galvanized pipe in a few places which I gather is not good for allowing valves to seat.Safety safety safety-if you aren't sure ask .It wasn't that long ago when I looked at my first steam system that I might as well have been looking at a nuclear reactor!! So I asked and asked again and I'm still asking.If I learn 1 thing a day I figure I'm doing pretty good! Somedays I learn 2 things then I can take a day off! :lol: Den
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:18 am

den, how about a safety plumbed with a "T" off of the man steam line? :lol: I've seen it done :shock: :? :shock: ... RUN AWAY (we need a smilie for that)
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Dear Farmerden and others ,

I'm interested in plumbing because fairly soon , probably in May , I'm going to be doing the plumbing to fit my Elliott Bay Triple onto its boiler and into the hull , and also all of the boiler and associated plumbing .
I know fairly well what is required but not how to do it . But the best way to learn is to do it (With frequent supervision/inspection by a competent person).

I am convinced of one thing with which the previous owner of Farmerden's boiler would obviously disagree : KEEP IT SIMPLE .
I think a trap into which many beginners fall is that they overcomplicate things .

It might well be desirable to have a steam lance , steam driven electrical generator , steam driven feed pump , etc etc etc . I believe that this enthusiasm , though commendable must be controlled : by all means have a manifold with the potential to take off sufficient feeds for all your dreams , but initially just concentrate on the basics .

What are the basics ?
I believe you must have two , possibly three , different methods of feeding the boiler , one of these should be a hand/foot pump as this (although hard work) is likely to be the most reliable . You must have a safety valve capable of venting more than ALL the steam which the boiler is capable of producing . You must have at least one sight glass (larger boilers should have two so in the event of one glass breaking you can still see the water level) . You must have a main steamline to the engine.
The various feeds into the boiler should have non-return valves and between the non-return valve and the boiler should be a hand operated valve ( so you can isolate and replace/repair the non return valve whilst in steam, it will be hot but do-able).
The safety valve/valves must be stand alone . By this I mean that they should not share pipework in such a way that they can be isolated/shut off from the boiler .
Unless of the Klinger type (Reflex) the sight glass should be surrounded by a safety shroud to protect it from the thermal shock of receiving splashed cold water and to direct steam away from people should the glass tube break .

I believe that that is all that a steam launch boiler MUST have and apart from the probable additions of take offs for a manifold and a whistle (which could be taken off the manifold) I believe that that is all that should be provided , at least when first fitting out .
This does not mean that you can't eventually have more, but initially just concentrate on getting these basics right , but allow the space for adding fittings and pipework as required at a later date .

All pipe runs should be as straight as possible avoiding if you can 90 degree bends.
There will almost always be compromises here , c'est la vie , but remember that injectors are extremists , they do not like compromises .

It goes without saying that all fittings and pipes must be capable of taking both the maximum pressures and temperatures that the boiler will produce . This precludes soft soldering of any hot part.

Of course different rules and laws apply in different places but I think that what I have written is universal truth . I am not an engineer and look forward and hope for all you experts to correct me and amplify as required .

Regards Edward .
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot

Post by farmerden » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:13 pm

One thing I do like and will keep is the massive hand pump in the system.If you are going to use a hand pump it usually means the other two methods have failed and believe me it is a scary feeling to not see water in the site glass! I have a smaller pump in the "Steam Queen" and if you have to top up the boiler in the morning you must pump and pump and pump! I'm sure I'm only moving a couple of ounces a stroke. The new pump is from Beckman and will do a great job. Remember when we need water in a boiler we need it NOW!! Den
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Have you ever tried hand-pumping 600 lb of steam an hour? :lol:

You soon realise that an engine driven feed pump or injector is a luxury you can't do without!
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.