Used Steam Engines

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
stevey_frac
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Used Steam Engines

Post by stevey_frac » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I was meandering around the internet, and came across the site for Preston Services. (http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/marine.htm)

They list a number of engines suitable for marine use. I am curious as to how well these used engines would hold up to being pressed into service? I was also curious as to if anyone has any idea what kind of prices these machines go for. There was a nice 20 H.P. compound on there that I think would be a nice fit for the tug. Perhaps a bit more engine then I need, but she's only 130 lbs or so.

In general, used engines seem to be readily available. Is it practical to assume I'll be able to find one of appropriate size, to put in my boat? In terms of cost, a new compound would run around $7200 for the Tiny Power 'M', would a used compound of similar size run less?

-Steve
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Used Steam Engines

Post by Edward » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Dear Steve ,

There is a world of difference between second hand engines and "old engines", the main difference being price ! Provided they are in good condition they will push your boat along very nicely and if they come with any sort of history you'll be able to find out if there are any problems associated with them .
Even if the engine is not in very good condition provided it was made properly in the first place it will be fixable .

A good second hand engine will probably be cheaper than a modern commercially built engine . Especially if bought from a private individual .
An old , antique or historic engine is likely to be expensive . Especially if bought from a dealer : if it's a Herreshoff or Simpson Strickland etc very expensive . It's a simple question of capitalist economics -- a dealer is going to charge what he thinks the market will stand .

Preston Steam Services are reliable in that their descriptions are usually accurate but they do not have the reputation of being cheap . Why not E-Mail them to ask about prices ( I think it will frighten you )

You say in the thread concerning building a Salty that you're expecting the hull to take a year or two . My advice would be to start on the hull and stay on the look out for a good second hand engine at the right price . With practice you will be able to judge if the price is right by comparing it to others that you have seen , heard of or investigated .
If when the hull is ready to take an engine you still haven't found the perfect cheap one THEN go to a dealer/commercial outlet .

Regards and good luck Edward
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Oh I don't know...

I would think an original Simpson Strickland compound in good original shape perhaps with some documentation showing provenence would go for MUCH more than that....

....Short answer...its worth what ever some one wants to pay for it....

Dave
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sat May 01, 2010 2:24 am

Steve,

Watch Ebay and dig through Craigs list. yeah, don't be in a hurry to find one, they just pop up from time to time. Be creative with the keywords too. The single M I found on Ebay, I found by searching "African queen", the seller had it listed as an "African queen engine".

But, be prepared, you may need to make some mods or fix mistakes made by the original builder. Alot of kit engines floating around have probably never seen a steam line and have just been ran on air with no load. Which is not really any sort of indicator as to what type of service it is qualified for. Horsing a big prop around for hours at 200+ degree heat is a much different set of conditions.

-Ron
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sat May 01, 2010 5:19 am

And put the word out to other steam nuts about what you're looking for. We found our big French compound by word of mouth.