Funny Hasbrouck engine story

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Wearyman
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Funny Hasbrouck engine story

Post by Wearyman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:55 pm

So Ron Ginger is now selling Ray Hasbrouck's engine plans online, and I have gotten my hands on the plans for a #1 and a #5.

My first reaction was; WOW. What gorgeous plans! Full size A4 sheets and SO much detail. Ray truly was a master.

My second reaction was; WOW. I've gotten myself in WAY over my head! I could tell almost immediately that while I would be able to assemble either of these engines with no trouble, fabricating them was just way beyond my capability.

Obviously this was discouraging, but I had suspected that this might be the case, and had already looked up the information for several local machine shops, thinking I could take it to them to have the parts made, then I could just assemble the engine I desired.

After several calls and emails I found only ONE shop in my area that was willing and able to do "one-off" work. I spoke with the owner and arrange to mail the #5 plans to him for an estimate. After a week I received my estimate in the email. Knowing that companies like Pearl Engine make machined kits available for their engines in the $3000 and up range, I expected the price to be slightly lower, due to the local company only supplying machined parts, but not bolts, nuts, bearings, bushings or instructions...

The estimate they came back with was $24,690.00 US for ONE set of engine parts! :shock: :shock: :shock:

As you can imagine, I didn't agree to that. I gave a polite "Thanks, but No Thanks." and requested they return the plans to me, which the owner is doing. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this one.
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Funny Hasbrouck engine story

Post by mcandrew1894 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 am

Funny! I had a guy want to by my launch engine...and he said "what's it worth to you?"

I gave him a VERY similar figure....figuring if he bit, it would hurt,,,but not too bad.. :D

He didn't go for it either! :lol: :lol:

Dave
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Maltelec » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:33 pm

What size is the engine?

That figure sounds about right for an engine roughly 6HP.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 am

2 HP

Dave
Wearyman
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Wearyman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Maltelec wrote:What size is the engine?

That figure sounds about right for an engine roughly 6HP.
A McAndrew noted, it's a 2HP (actually 2 1/2 HP) engine.

I should also note that I was required to supply all raw materials. They weren't even going to supply the stock!

As a comparison, The price for a fully machined kit for a 2HP Iron and Bronze single cylinder Pearl engine WITH integrated feedpump is $3,296.00.

So yeah, that price is WAY out there. I think I'll just save up and get the Pearl kit. Unless there is someone out there willing to machine all the parts for me at a reasonable price point? ;)
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Just and idle thought for you...

Steamboat Jack was offering his services for engine building having finished the two superb triples. Now the GBP is trading at 1.5 to the USD and is set to fall further as the UK slides into a double dip recession. For those of you in the US where the economy is likely to get a further boost, that would make getting stuff from Euope much cheaper, although there is the cost of shipping.

I have a contact through the SBA who has recently shipped an engine to California so, we can provide details if that would help.

Regards

Pete