Throttle valves?

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Throttle valves?

Post by mcandrew1894 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification. We know what happens when we don't use "not propa walve".. :D Get the movie guys...but it still has a sad ending.....no matter how many times I watch it... :P
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 pm

Here's my retro 21st century throttle valve with 18th century-ish handle

Dave
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Our Otter uses a 1/2" angle globe valve as a main steam stop valve, and a strainer w/ wire mesh to remove any scale, etc, carry-over that would damage slide valves, etc.... and the throttle valve is a 1/2" angled bronze globe valve w/ a metal-metal seat. this combo works very well.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:13 am

:idea: A thought, cause I like Bart's idea. Modifying the concept (and perhaps the valve handles): use the throttle valve (with a handwheel that has a short handle - like a crank) to regulate the speed and the main steam stop for quick maneuvering (off - on). If the main steam stop is within easy reach of the engineer's station - and a simple quarter turn ball valve - that might be a thought. Over 35 years in this hobby and I suddenly came up with this simple idea. What's wrong with it? Must be something.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:44 am

Hi Ron,

I used a globe valve with a crank as you described.....like the one on Sabino, it can be a bit slow to open or close...even with the "Brody" knob on it...I tried out the ball valve ( 1/4 turn open to close) and I really like it...very controllable and it stays put....and can be closed in a blink.

Think I'll stick with it......at least for a while...but I'll let you know

Thanks for the interest!

Dave