Average heat input

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Average heat input

Post by mcandrew1894 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 am

preaton wrote:The difficulty occurs in the steam space. Although by definition ,saturated steam at 200psi will be about 200 deg C. In some boiler designs there is the potential to superheat the steam. Once the steam is dry the temperature of the steam is related to how much heat is applied and independent of the pressure. This is where copper becomes a problem. Most boiler designs that use copper tubes get around this problem by making sure that the tubes are "drowned" ie below the water level of the boiler. Then the above situation cannot arise.

Yes this is correct, and my tubes are "drown". This does work

Maltec's comments are relavent also.

Wearyman, I would recommend you get a good boiler design, preferably from the SBA. They can supply you a design for little money that you won't have to engineer and should be safe. If your new to engineering and the physics, and I mean this in a kind and honest tone, I would stay away from designing a boiler. Steam is a wonderous, hideous beast...and not to be triffled with. That's a good way to end up a statistic.
And old saying comes to mind....if you want to design some machine, first run one, then fix one, and then design one.
With that in mind.....
Get some miles behind you running a boiler that is a known entity, and get some training in it's safe operation. There are many groups around that can help, and some on line sources, Check Google books for boiler operation. "Maxims and Instructions for the Boiler Room" by Hawkins comes to mind but in perusing my copy, I find it a bit old. But I am sure there is others and google is your friend here.

I believe the SBA has some classes also.

Feel free to ask more questions, but do go slow, and make the investment in learning.....knowledge more than anything else is what will keep you safe...believe it.

Warm Regards, and best of luck in you learning.

Dave
Wearyman
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Wearyman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:53 pm

mcandrew,

Thanks for your advice, I can assure you that I will take it to heart.

In actuality I wasn't planning on doing any design work on the boiler. I was planning on using approved and proven existing blueprints and designs. In the end I might just go ahead and have one made for me. At least one other member here got an incredible deal on a firetube boiler, and at an under $1000.00 price tag I would be interested to see if the same place could make one for me too.

Thanks for answering my questions, you guys are all fonts of knowledge when it comes to steamboating!
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 am

HI Wearyman,

Well....we all learned it from somebody....we are the stewarts of the knowledge now..so we all need to share it "forward"

You have a great plan there......RUSHFORTH! Don't wait for "someday"

Here's the best four rules to take to heart with running a boiler...IMHO

you ready?

1. Keep water in the boiler!

2. Keep water in the boiler!

3. Keep water in the boiler!

4. Have a shovel ready to remove the fire from the boiler should you have a failure of any of the previous 3 rules.

The rest could be said is the grad course :D ....we can get into it.

Dave
Last edited by mcandrew1894 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:20 am

mcandrew1894 wrote:HI Wearyman,

Well....we all learned it from somebody....we are the stuarts of the knowledge now..so we all need to share it "forward"...

Dave
You can identify a Scotsman by his manner of speaking. :lol:
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:51 am

Well at least I'm not "Scotch".... :lol: though I wouldn't mind having one now.....
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 pm

mcandrew1894 wrote:Well at least I'm not "Scotch".... :lol: though I wouldn't mind having one now.....
Then I guess you're also not a "Stuart". Make mine a double malt :!:
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:32 pm

This conversation reminds me of the experiment where you boil water in a paper cup over an open flame. Everything is good until the water evaporates then the cup burns up.

It also remind me that I need something to put into my cup. I prefer rum to water.

Ken
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:15 am

marinesteam wrote:This conversation reminds me of the experiment where you boil water in a paper cup over an open flame. Everything is good until the water evaporates then the cup burns up.

It also remind me that I need something to put into my cup. I prefer rum to water.

Ken
Sounds like proper fuel for the fire to me! :D

Dave
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:16 am

oh and ....if the worst I did today is use the wrong spelling....well...sue me.....

Dave
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:23 am