Boiler platform

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
daysaver1
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Boiler platform

Post by daysaver1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:41 pm

My vertical, fire tube Semple boiler sits on a sheet metal wrapped piece of 1/2 inch thick Transite. It appears the wrap is made of two thin sheets, the first with edges turned up, and the second welded completely around to formally seal the Transite inside.

The metal, which is also the floor of the ash dump has rusted through on the top surface, not only making scraping out the ash difficult but now that I've removed the boiler, needs to be replaced.

Two questions come to mind: 1) Is there a reason the Transite is completely wrapped or can I, after removing the current wrap, merely lay a new sheet of metal on top leaving the edges and under surface open? and 2) if 1) indicates there is no reason for a complete wrap, can I use a thin sheet of stainless to avoid the rusting problem I currently have?
Co-Captain...S.L. Reward
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Boiler platform

Post by farmerden » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:21 am

Hmmm-by transite are you referring to the asbestos-concrete pipe material? Perhaps it was covered just to protect it from damage while shoveling out the ashes.We used to use this stuff all the time and never thought anything about it-til they told us it was dangerous.Now I watch guys in full haz-suits and respirators removing stuff like I installed.It's a good thing I held my breath! Den
daysaver1
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by daysaver1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:25 am

Yes, I presume its transite based on its original construction in the early 1980's and the fact that it appears to be pretty light weight. I can understand protection from ash shovels but not sure why it was completely wrapped...even on the bottom...and welded shut with solid weld all the way around.
Co-Captain...S.L. Reward
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Thinking so more about it you don't think the transite was placed there just to stop heat transfer in the bilge area?
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:22 pm

farmerden wrote:Thinking so more about it you don't think the transite was placed there just to stop heat transfer in the bilge area?
Knowing the original owner of the boat, YES :!:
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org