Is rusting much of a problem to steam engine?

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Narwhale
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Is rusting much of a problem to steam engine?

Post by Narwhale » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:40 am

Hi Guys,
Newbie here with lots of questions.
Guess the most pressing to me is how much rust developes on a steam engine used in salt water?
Is it a constant battle to keep an engine running if the engine is used irregularly?

Have been dreaming about a steam powered sternwheeler for a couple of years now. Just about convinced to build a set of steam cylinders engines to drive a sternwheel 90 degrees apart for both sides of a boat.
But living in the Houston area, very hot and humid most of the time, makes me wary of using cast iron and/or low carbon steel for the cylinder and associated parts.
Can you keep the boat engines runnig easily?
Over the course of say 5 or 10 years, what will happen?
Rich S.
Wearyman
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Re: Is rusting much of a problem to steam engine?

Post by Wearyman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:47 am

Well, I'm no steam expert, in fact I'm almost as much of a newbie as you. But I'd imagine that in any salt-laden moist environment such as you would find in and around the ocean, you will be subject to the ravages of oxidation.

If you are planning on using your steam engine only infrequently you might want to look into the Pearl Engines. You can buy/build an all bronze model, which will be less prone to oxidation than a traditional black iron steam engine. Bronze also has the added benefit of looking absolutely incredible once machined and polished.

Link to the Pearl engine company: http://www.pearlengine.com/index.htm

That's my utterly inexperienced 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:13 am

Been around salt water/air all my life. What happens to an inboard or IO boat that is operated as often as you plan to? With slight variation, that's your answer.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:34 am

"Steam Queen" lives in the ocean. Most of the time the salt water stays on the outside of the boat but when it's rough and the wind is blowing there is salt spray everywhere! Live with it! I started by buffing the brass steady,the iron gets painted.Now I don't buff as often and enjoy the wonderful sites I steam in. If you want a show boat leave it on the trailer! :lol: In the winter I pull the heads and dry everything and spray WD40 on the internal surfaces.Most of the outside of the engine is already covered with enough oil so a simple wipedown is all that's necessary.Ya I still like the look of polished brass and steel and am envious of those fresh water boats but I can live with a little tarnished brass! If you've got the time buff and enjoy! if not just enjoy! Den