Help Air Pump needed

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Sam Leese
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Help Air Pump needed

Post by Sam Leese » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 pm

My 58 foot boat works well until I try to condense - the ejector I have to lift the condnesate is too steam hungry - anyone know where I can get (buy) an air pump or get a drawing for one - I have single cylinder engine 6 inch bore 7 inch stroke so somethign to suit would be geat.

Thanks

Sam
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: Help Air Pump needed

Post by barts » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:42 am

If that's a regular single you could just let back pressure on the engine push the condensate out into the hotwell... I do this on the Otter (a lot smaller boat, I'll admit :-)) and this works just fine.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Help Air Pump needed

Post by fredrosse » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:01 am

A wet vacuum pump will remove condensate and maintain vacuum exhaust for better economy. The pump running at engine speed should have about 1/2 the bore, and 1/2 the stroke of the main engine's cylinder. With reasonable packings this will handle air leakage and easily pump out all the condensate.

I made mine from a commercial pneumatic cylinder, much less machining and better quality bore, gland, and piston rod finish than I can make in the home shop. I will send details of internals once you decide what cylinder to buy on e-bay.
Attachments
Engine WetVacuumPumpParts Nov 2006.JPG
Wet Air Pump made from Pneumatic Cylinder
Engine WetVacuumPumpParts Nov 2006.JPG (171.56 KiB) Viewed 4018 times