Piston rods

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Piston rods

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:48 am

87gn@tahoe wrote:Monel might have been a bit less expensive in the '70's/ early '80's when John originally designed the engine. He was/is also a professional machinist, so exotic materials may have been more accessible to him at more reasonable prices.
I think that could well be the case. Certainly here in the UK the more exotic the material the less there is about nowadays, unless of course you have an "in" or are prepared to be held to ransom.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
preaton
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by preaton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:18 am

I used monel on my York. I don't remember it being too hard to machine. Certainly not as hard as the 17/4PH SS specified for the valve rods. I assume the advantage is corrosion resistance. These engines spend most of their lives looking good but not actually working. SS & mild steel can pit badly in the gland when sitting for a while. Then next time you run you rip the packing to shreds. Hard chrome would solve that problem but then so does monel.

Cheers

Paul
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:51 pm

My dad and I visited John York yesterday and got a new toy... I asked John about the monel and he said, "It doesn't gall like stainless, and the chrome on chromed rods is only so-thick."

So there ya have it.

Now to show off new toy :D ;

John York himself (best side):

My father strapping, or strapping father:

Ready to roll:

Indoctrinating my nephew:

Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:13 pm

87gn@tahoe wrote:My dad and I visited John York yesterday and got a new toy... I asked John about the monel and he said, "It doesn't gall like stainless, and the chrome on chromed rods is only so-thick."

So there ya have it.

I guess you do.

What really astounds me is I thought I'd look up some sources and actually found there is one here in town. Can't get steel cast locally, but we do have a monel supplier. Unbelievable! :o :o
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.