Schedule 80 and 40 Pipe Identification

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Schedule 80 and 40 Pipe Identification

Post by JonRiley56 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi,

I happened across a local recycling operation that has a fair amount of heavy pipe inventory at pretty reasonable pricing. Can I tell if it is schedule 40 or 80 just by checking the thickness of the walls and comapring them to published tables ? They are selling it for $0.45 per lb which ends up being significantly less than the per foot pricing from pipe suppliers on the bigger stuff.

thanks

jon
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Schedule 80 and 40 Pipe Identification

Post by fredrosse » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Measurements can be used, and most probably the Schedule 80 pipe is not cheap imported pipe like is found at Home Depot, etc.

In the following table, IPS=IronPipeSize, OD=Outside Diameter, ID=Inside Diameter, Wall-Pipe Wall Thickness, Std=Standard Pipe, typically Schedile 40 in the smaller pipe sizes, X= Extra Heavy Pipe, typically Schedile 80 in the smaller pipe sizes.

If you are measuring pipe dimensions on a piece of pipe that has been cut with a wheel type pipe cutter, measurements can be decieving, as the cutter wheel can make the end of the pipe look like it has a heavier wall thickness than it actually has. File the cutting burr off or use appropriate measuring tools that can measure inside the pipe burr, or cut the pipe with a hack saw and then make your measurements.
Attachments
sch40sch80.jpg
USA Standard Pipe, Schedule 40 & Schedule 80
sch40sch80.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi Jon,

It's all personal preference, but I am a bit cautious of using anything in an area of such safety concern without knowing it's history. My thinking is, what if it was used in an area of high stress and vibration? There may be fracturing in the threaded area undetectable by simple visual examination. What if it was in a fire at some point? Altering the Physical properties. We all know the importance of boiler safety, piping should be treated with just as much care and precaution. A failed pipe can be very dangerous as well.

Just as one would not fire a questionable boiler, questionable piping should be discarded too. Call Mcmaster-Carr, go to a good plumbing supply, get some good US made Sch 80 ASTM A106 "Class 300" seamless or equivalent piping and be safe. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's no place to cut corners and a lot cheaper than a mishap.

It's probably overkill, but I plan to replace all the pressure piping/ braided hoses every five years.

-Ron
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:38 am

I would guess you are not going to buy miles of pipe so the added cost for new pipe shouldn't be that much.Like I said before "us poor folk can only afford to do it once ,so might as well do it right!" Den
JonRiley56
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by JonRiley56 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:52 am

point well made...................I'll stay with my local pipe supplier.

thanks

jon