To get a triple

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: To get a triple

Post by barts » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:35 am

And I too would very much appreciate a copy of your paper....

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Ralph B
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Ralph B » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 am

I downloaded Stumpf's book and have been easing my way through it. I am slowly coming to the realization that a 3 cylinder uniflow would be a better fit...smooth operation, and should be very reliable...if one or even 2 cylinders go down you can still run. The hard part is finding a proven design.

Anyone have a 4hp (or bigger) proven design they would like to sell?
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:07 am

The Domestic Heat-Power machine burned anthracite coal, using an automatic stoker, running 24/7 requires a fully automatic plant. Send me your e-mail in a PM and I will forward the paper. I will not use the e-mail address for anything else.

A very high efficiency 3 cylinder uniflow engine was used to generate 25kW at the Whitecliffs Solar Power Plant in Austraila. Lookup details of this machine on the Internet.
Ralph B
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Ralph B » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:26 am

I looked at the White Cliffs design, they use a converted Lister and use an interesting valve operation. I also went to Elpenor's site. Does anyone know the hp rating of that engine?
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Ralph B wrote:...I also went to Elpenor's site. Does anyone know the hp rating of that engine?
According to a very comprehensive article on the building of that engine that David Ayers wrote for/and was published in Steamboating Magazine, at 320 rpm, 100psi, 45deg cutoff (about 1/6 stroke), 27" vacuum the HP rating is 8.
Ron Image
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:31 am

Don't underestimate the simplicity and reliability improvements you'd get from a big single cylinder uniflow... with a overhung crank, you can easily use roller bearings for the crankpin, and mains can be tapered roller bearings or babbitt if you prefer. With poppet valves, a proper maneuvering cut-off (at least 50%) and auxiliary clearance space to reduce compression under low vacuum conditions, you shouldn't have any problems with the engine failing to reverse reliably.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:31 pm

barts wrote:Don't underestimate the simplicity and reliability improvements you'd get from a big single cylinder uniflow... with a overhung crank, you can easily use roller bearings for the crankpin, and mains can be tapered roller bearings or babbitt if you prefer. With poppet valves, a proper maneuvering cut-off (at least 50%) and auxiliary clearance space to reduce compression under low vacuum conditions, you shouldn't have any problems with the engine failing to reverse reliably.
- Bart
Yeah, and you don't have all those tiny parts to wear out rapidly (wrist pin knock, etc.). :o
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org