What to do when there's no rallys

Been to a steamboat rally? Post pictures and tell us about it.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

What to do when there's no rallys

Post by farmerden » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 am

It's cold, miserable,the shop's too cold to work in-what's a person to do? Well about 15 years ago Don & Audrey Thompson decided to hold "Winter Blahs Day" and its been going ever since! It's a buffet style dinner put together by Audrey- Soups,Chili, salad ,rice & ribs,beer ,wine-just right to warm the innards in Winter! Don has since passed away and Audrey puts it together by herself now. It's held in Victoria and this year there were 20 people in attendence ,including 10 from Wash. State who braved the winter seas aboard BC Ferries! It's a get together of steamers and a wonderful day to be had. Instead of waving at the other steamers as they go by in their boat one can sit down and chat! A good time was had by all. Now I don't know if the SBA does anything like this.This is very informal. Something like this could be done anywhere one could gather a few steamers together [except maybe Wes,he's probably snowbound! :lol: ] Try it out in your neighbourhood! Den
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: What to do when there's no rallys

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Dear Den and fellow boaters

What a good idea! In the UK a few of our Area Representatives organise out of season get togethers. In the North West one year the then rep who is a traction engine fan also, organised a lunch with instructions to arrive by steam if at all possible. Naturally he did so with his roller, but the rest of turned up in IC driven transport.

I also hear that, down in the South (even tiny England has regional divides/animosities!) there is an excellent regular function known as the Steamy Breakfast. Apparently, steamboaters get up very early in the morning and steam up the Thames/down the Thames to a pub that does traditional breakfast. I haven't been myself, but it appears to have a great following.

Regards

Pete