Good Time at Lee's Mills this year

Been to a steamboat rally? Post pictures and tell us about it.
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Good Time at Lee's Mills this year

Post by mcandrew1894 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:18 am

Had a great 4 days steaming. Great people and good times

Boat ran well.....had 140 on the clock with her wide open at one point in the cove.....no data to report ( no GPS yet)

Al Dunlop clocked her at 6.1+/. 0.1 miles/hour with his GPS with only 90 psig on the clock....with very little wake...So I suspect she'll go a bit more if asked.

Boat was very stable and easy to get on an off. Someone took a picture of me standing on her coaming amidships..... :shock: The injector ran well, though the feed pump packing was somewhat hit or miss.

I need better control of the lubricating oil and its containment....It turns the aft cockpit into quite a mess.

Definitly needs more economizer....I'll add another 50 lineal feet of 5/16" on the starboard side this winter and set the feed water to run in parallel through both circuits. Additionally, I am going to put in some baffles to slow the combustion gasses down and redirect a bit.....I had fire half way up the stack with the stack blower going!

The art of firing her boiler is slowly being mastered.....albiet with much experimentation. I found a lumber mill that makes hardwood flooring that sells the shorts for short money. They're oak, maple and ash and are unfinished bits up to about 12" long.....burn great and no preparation required.

Dave

This last one is of Mike Condax's on board expresso machine.....awesome!