Clear Lake, California mini meet May 3-5

Been to a steamboat rally? Post pictures and tell us about it.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Clear Lake, California mini meet May 3-5

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 pm

A very short notice!

I just received an email yesterday that there will be a small meeting of steamboats on Clear Lake in California, May 3-5.

The venue is the Clear Lake Vista Resort, 6190 Soda Bay Rd., Kelseyville, CA 95451, 707-289-4017. Ask for Fabian.

Here is the venue website: http://www.clvresort.com/contact_us.html

If you book a room or a cabin/cottage, launching and dock are free. If you do not book, dock is $10/day and a $10 launch fee.

There are 20 slips available with power at each slip.

You can get the Lake County mussel sticker there as well.

If you can make it on such short notice, please do!

If you'd like to attend, please let me know so we can get a number for boats. My number is (530)Four One Six-1776

There should be very little aquatic weed on the lake this time of year, and the temperature not unbearable. Fabian has also agreed to have the marina cleared of existing aquatic weeds before our arrival.

More info about Clear Lake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Lake ... ifornia%29
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Clear Lake, California mini meet May 3-5

Post by farmerden » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 am

Hey Wes is that the Clear Lake north of the Napa Valley? Went swimming there years ago ,then I touched bottom and as I wiggled my toes slowly sank deeper and deeper in the mud! Watched a skier wipe out in about 2 ft of water-wasn't pretty. But he made a soft landing :lol: I think it would be great for steaming and we could stock up on good wine just down the road!! Den
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 am

Indeed it is that one. The it's a bit of a misnomer as you can't see the tips of your fingers if your arm is submerged.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed May 07, 2014 6:39 am

The first annual Clear Lake meet went quite well. Bruce Hepler and his wife brought their launch "Skedaddle", Leif Larsen brought the "Jenny L.", and my father and I brought the "Wayward Belle".

The weather on Friday was wonderful. I managed to put sunblock everywhere but my forehead. I now have a very brown forehead with bright white scowl lines.

I will write more and include pictures in a bit. I'm a bit busy at the moment with work stuff.
Last edited by TahoeSteam on Wed May 07, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm

(The paddlewheeler is a fake)
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed May 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Sat May 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Hey Wesley,

How did the Jenny L perform at the recent meet? That's my old boat - "Doris Marie". Just looking at the pics, I can feel and smell her as if she was still under foot. She was a fun, easy boat to steam; especially if he got the keel condenser hooked up. I didn't have that much experience back then, ran her open to the atmosphere; always had to keep adding water as I remember.

Funny to see he is still using the same bumpers, tied in the same spot along the roof rail and I noticed the old school boarding ladder on the roof that came with the boat when I got her.....funny stuff how we steamboaters keep passing along our hardware, as long as it still works. :-)

If ever you speak to the owner, say Hi for me.

Later.
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Mack,

She did well, albeit there were some issues. She is condensing now and runs okay. I think the old Seabury is tired and needs a rebuild.

He burns nothing but manzanita and madrone which have a lot of heat in them and grow like weeds out in his part of the woods (Clear Lake).

I let him know that you'd been inquiring about her.

Sorry for the late response, I didn't see your reply until now.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Saturday was bright and sunny and a bit breezy. Skedaddle stuck mainly to the sheltered coves and inlets. Jenny L. and Wayward Belle were a bit more adventurous, steaming towards Lakeport, but mechanical issues and low fuel mandated we come about. Jenny L. pulled out that evening.

Sunday was very windy, overcast, and rough with 3 ft+ wind-blown waves at times. Skedaddle steamed around for a bit in the coves, then pulled out in the late morning. Wayward belle and crew decided to first try to steam towards the town of Clear Lake, but the wind and waves started to really pick up so we reversed our course and headed northwest towards Lakeport.

We were soaked completely through and beat all to hell running into the wind all the way to Lakeport. We had a late lunch at a Mexican Restaurant that was right on the water. The food was good and the atmosphere allowed us to dry off a bit. Coming back from Lakeport was a pleasure as we were running with the wind and surfing the waves, making almost 11knots back with over 600lbs of raw meat onboard. The light shined through the clouds onto the water and the whole lake was shimmering. The photos do not do it justice.

Some shots and a video from the trip back from Lakeport on Sunday with Joe Butterman at the helm:

CLICK ON THIS PHOTO TO VIEW THE VIDEO:

Last edited by TahoeSteam on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:05 pm