Shamrock Restoration Appeal

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Shamrock Restoration Appeal

Post by Maltelec » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 am

As taken from the SBA Bulletin Board
http://www.steamboat.org.uk:

Dear SBA Members and steam boating friends

Many of you will have heard of the unprecedented rainfall that hit Cumbria this November. As part of that event the level of Windermere rose to a higher level than has been recorded since records began. Naturally there has been extensive damage to property and boats including some steam boats (See the News on this site).

One of those casualties was Shamrock, the vessel that has effectively been the icon of the SBA on its website for the last ten years. As many of you know, no insurance company will pay out to fully restore things to exactly their former state, and the same is true for Shamrock. Unfortunately, being in private ownership Shamrock is not eligible for grants from the more usual sources. Thus a group of us are rallying together to raise money to fully restore the vessel.

The good news is that Shamrock did not sink and Roger Mallinson and the team are busy already. They have worked out what needs to be done, have acquired a load of teak and sourced various other necessary items. In addition we have received a few kind donations towards the work. However, we still need more funds so I am asking you to join us in making a donation to help save this piece of Windermere history.

Please make your cheques payable to the SBA, but mark them “Shamrock” so that they do not get confused with membership subscription cheques! If you want to use a card to make a donation, please contact our Membership Secretary, John Gibbs (details on this site) who is set up to process card transactions.

Thank you for your help and we will post some photos as soon as there is anything worth showing.

Regards

Pete

- Contact details for John Gibbs are available on the SBA website.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Re: Shamrock Restoration Appeal

Post by barts » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Aside: Does paypal work in the U.K.? They would do well to set that up...

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 pm

barts wrote:Aside: Does paypal work in the U.K.? They would do well to set that up...

- Bart
Contaced John GIbbs yesterday (Sat. Jan 16) re sending money w/PayPal. They're not set up to do that with the Shamrock fund at this time - maybe in the future. But if you contact him via the SBA's website he'll suggest to you an appropriate way using your credit card.

Ron
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:13 am

Paypal does work in the UK.

Should you be struggling to donate any money through the SBA website, I would be happy to write a cheque out for any money you wish to send to my paypal account and send it onto the appropriate persons.

Send me a PM should you wish to.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:24 pm

http://www.steamboattrust.org.uk/Shamrock_appeal.htm

Hello One and All ,

The above link should ,if I've done this correctly (which is unlikely), take you to the latest information about Shamrocks' appeal and some pictures .

Regards Edward .
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks Edward.

The link is correct and works nicely.

You have also saved me a job as I had been thinking I ought to check if this Forum had the correct details.

Best wishes

Pete
johngriffiths
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Tenacity

Post by johngriffiths » Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi All,

Just to say The Shamrock Trust has been incorporated as company limited by guarantee with nine founding directors. We are setting up a Friends of Shamrock group and in due course, when some more admin hoops have been jumped through, will be setting up a Paypal account for donations.

The work on the cabin is progressing very well and the new sides have received a coat of wood sealant. Edward of this forum helped Roger with the back canopy on Saturday but I don't know if it is installed or not. Roof is still to be planked, and there is the toughened glass to measure for, and purchase.

John
johngriffiths
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by johngriffiths » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Folks,

Just to say that the company limited by guarantee was granted its Registered Charity number today the 22 June 2010. A huge amount of work was put into this and thanks are due to the National Historic Ships Register for their help. We will be setting up a Paypal account to accept donations. The lovely old lady is now to be kept for the public benefit. Our moderator is running her website at www.shamrocktrust.org.uk

If anyone is visiting from overseas please come to Windermere and if we can organise it, have tea on the lake. It is probably a good idea to let us know you are about first.

Have a good season's sailing all,

John Griffiths
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Post by steamboatjack » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:07 am

Come all you north americans and europeans, come and get a ride on the most elegant boat of all and one of the oldest that is still operating in its original area.
p.s. you will not need any ear defenders as the engine is silent. We would be willing to make coffee, (at least while roger is busy talking).
regards
Jack
johngriffiths
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by johngriffiths » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:42 am

Hi All,

Of the many people who supported the rebuild of Shamrock there are three whom we have not been able to contact for lack of an address. The Shamrock Trust offers thanks to Sara & Don Slater, Bart (USA) and Aln Bitterman. Without their and other donations the task would have been very difficult.

I apologise in advance if names have been incorrectly spelt. If the above would email me with contact details I would be most grateful.

John Griffiths