Rose launch by Selway Fisher

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Han.Smit
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Mrs. Appletree [WIP]

Rose launch by Selway Fisher

Post by Han.Smit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Dear forum,

At the moment I am building a steam launch. The boiler and machine are already done.
The boat itself is also present (it’s actually a rowboat), but it still needs a lot of work. Like increasing the height, adding the ribs and creating the deck. The current boat is 4,40 meter (14’5”) by 1,38 meter (4’6”). The current lowest point is 44 centimeters (1’5”). Here is an image of said boat: https://i.imgur.com/zjJNJ7P.jpg

Keeping the amount of work in mind, my wife and I asked ourselves if it’s recommendable to continue working on this boat or not. If not, we’re interested in Selway-Fisher’s Rose model.

This boat is 5’3” and available in 2 widths; 6’2”and 5’.
The technical dates of the installation are: Engine: (compound) Bore 44 mm / 65 mm. Stroke 50mm
Vertical boiler: diameter 450 mm. Height 850 mm
Pressure 10 Bar Weight about 200 Kg empty

Is the Rose a good choice? And what width is more recommended. We’re with 4 adults.
We’re looking forward to your reply.

With kind regards,

Fam. H. Smit
The Netherlands
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Rose launch by Selway Fisher

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 pm

A lot will depend on where you will sail it. Coastal, river or canal, but generally I would go with the broader beam for more stability. However that might be at a slight loss of speed dependent on how your 'hardware' performs.

I wish I was that far on! :lol:
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

If you can manage it, put bricks/concrete blocks (any handy weight) approx where you expect the boiler, engine, and 4 adults will be. Try to float the hull somewhere safe calm and shallow with easy access.

You should get an pretty accurate answer to your question fairly quickly.

To me that hull looks small, but I am spoiled in this regard.

-CB
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm

The Selway Fisher Rose at 15 feet? That is more than likely too small for that boiler and four adults.

-Ron
Han.Smit
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Han.Smit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Apologies for the late reply!

Thank you for your recommendations and advice. Next spring I will continue working on the hull. I will try out the given advice as soon as possible.

Does anyone here know someone that has built the Rose? This way I can easily determine what the best cause of action is; modifying the current hull or building the Rose.
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 am

Han.Smit wrote:Apologies for the late reply!

Thank you for your recommendations and advice. Next spring I will continue working on the hull. I will try out the given advice as soon as possible.

Does anyone here know someone that has built the Rose? This way I can easily determine what the best cause of action is; modifying the current hull or building the Rose.
Send an e-mail to Paul Fisher at Selway Fisher: he's a very sensible man, and knows a great deal more about boats than most of us have forgotten. I'm sure he'll have something helpful to say, and will know the capabilities of the "Rose" hull, and how it could be modified, better than anyone else. His charges for modifying an existing plan are, to my mind, rather modest.
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Post by ianrichards » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi.
Just seen your post.
I’m just about to start building a Rose, which will be powered by my Lune Valley boiler.
I’ve decided to build the the 6’2” version and see if my Stuart 5a is up to the job.
If not, I’ll swap it for something larger.
Paul is very helpful, I’ve built one of his craft before, which was a joy to work on.
PM me if you want to chat more.
Best wishes
Ian
Han.Smit wrote:Dear forum,

At the moment I am building a steam launch. The boiler and machine are already done.
The boat itself is also present (it’s actually a rowboat), but it still needs a lot of work. Like increasing the height, adding the ribs and creating the deck. The current boat is 4,40 meter (14’5”) by 1,38 meter (4’6”). The current lowest point is 44 centimeters (1’5”). Here is an image of said boat: https://i.imgur.com/zjJNJ7P.jpg

Keeping the amount of work in mind, my wife and I asked ourselves if it’s recommendable to continue working on this boat or not. If not, we’re interested in Selway-Fisher’s Rose model.

This boat is 5’3” and available in 2 widths; 6’2”and 5’.
The technical dates of the installation are: Engine: (compound) Bore 44 mm / 65 mm. Stroke 50mm
Vertical boiler: diameter 450 mm. Height 850 mm
Pressure 10 Bar Weight about 200 Kg empty

Is the Rose a good choice? And what width is more recommended. We’re with 4 adults.
We’re looking forward to your reply.

With kind regards,

Fam. H. Smit
The Netherlands
Han.Smit
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Han.Smit » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your reaction, I'm sorry I reply this late. It has been some time since I've been on the forums.

You wrote that this is your second boat from Selway Fisher. Do you think the "Rose" is a good boat for a beginning boat builder? And are the drawings okay?

Thank you for the PB inventation and I am looking forward to your reply.

With kind regards,
Han Smit
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Post by ianrichards » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Han.
The first SF boat I built was a Canadian canoe and once I got my head around how to do the marking out for the panels, it was all relatively straight forward and I enjoyed every moment of the build.
The Rose, although a bigger project iappears pretty straight forward.
I would suggest that you get yourself a set and of study plans to see what you are letting yourself in for.
Paul Fisher is very helpful.
To date, I have completed the boiler, sourced an engine and the actual boat build has just started.
All ply panels are now cut and I am seating to build the frames.
I reckon the boat will be launched in summer 2019
Please contact me on ianofcalstock@gmail.com and we can exchange photos etc easier.
Best wishes
Ian