Lake Nockamixon Meets?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Craig Thompson
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Lake Nockamixon Meets?

Post by Craig Thompson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:16 am

I joined this forum in 2014 with great excitement. As often happens other priorities have steered my life.

I was hoping to attend a Lake Nockamixon meet this year. So I looked at the International Steamboating.org schedule. It appears that it has not been updated since 2016.

Are the Lake Nockamixin meets still being held? Where can I look for more information?

Any info is most appreciated.

Craig T.
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Re: Lake Nockamixon Meets?

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 am

Craig,

Yes The lake Nockamixon Steam meets are still on, the dates for 2018 are
June 9
July 14
August 11
October 12-14

you can visit my page www.slphoebesnow.com and call or email me.
Don Fenstermacher, Jr.
fensty2@comcast.net
215-460-4515
Craig Thompson
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks Don.

I will be in touch.

Craig T.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Haycock Ramp, boats generally gather in the AM, although I usually arrive late morning. Thanks Don for running this event for years.
Attachments
Sidewheeler+Sister.jpg
On Lake Nockamixon
Sidewheeler+Sister.jpg (81.64 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 am

fredrosse wrote:Haycock Ramp, boats generally gather in the AM, although I usually arrive late morning. Thanks Don for running this event for years.
Fred, is your dinghy/canoe thingy a smaller version of the steamer? I note both are paddlers.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Yes, Sidewheeler and "Sister" are the same hull lines, Sister is 55% size of the steamer. I had never built a boat, so before I attempted the large steamer I wanted to build something smaller.

Schedules forced building the bigger hull first, but we have fun with the little hull too. I will often anchor the steamer offshore and use the little boat to get ashore, tying the sidewheeler to a dock is difficult with the side paddlewheels.
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:22 am

Fred, I love running the meet and have met many great people who have steamboats, are wannabes or just stumbled upon the meet and would like a ride. hoping to be back in the water soon and it is nice to hear a Thank-you once in a while....the October meet is fun but tiring and I sink a fair amount of my own money into the dinner to make it fun for everyone.

Don
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:39 pm

August meet had only one person (a fool) on the water.
Weather forecast was much rain and thunder storms, but I took the chance, had about an hour on the water with nice, but overcast sky.

Then the heavens opened up, it was raining so hard that the water was quenching my boiler (try pouring a bucket of water down your stack while underway), soaking the steam pipes, the engine, etc. When steam pressure had fallen to only 50 psi I made it to a launch ramp about 2 miles from my launch site. I hitched a pickup truck ride from a guy who was waiting for the rain to stop, he took me back to Haycock ramp where I retrieved my car & trailer.

When I got back to the Margaret S, there was 7 inches of water in the bilge, and that's with a flat bottom boat! But no harm done, still a good outing in my opinion.
Attachments
Rain-aug2018-b.jpg
Rain-aug2018-b.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Fred,

Looks like you've been having the same weather luck we've had around here. It rained like 10 weekends in a row. Really screwed the shows up.

That's a great picture, and that is one of my favorite conditions to steamboat in, is in the rain, but maybe not as much rain as you're talking about. Just close the windows and doors that are taking rain and enjoy the cool breeze, and there is very little other boat traffic. Sounds like ya need a flat top over the stack for that sort of rain :)

-Ron