Oil/Water Separator

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Oil/Water Separator

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 am

Lionel Connell wrote:Is there any (reasonable) means of catching any of the oil between the engine and the condenser? i.e. reducing the amount of oil that goes through the condenser?

Lionel
A friend of mine has a 1922 Stanley Model 740 and he built a box inline to the condenser looking much like a muffler that is much larger in cross section than the exhaust plumbing and has baffles, stainless steel brillo pads (for scrubbing burnt-on food from dishes), a drain on it, and a hatch to remove/replace said pads. The theory is that the exhaust steam looses some velocity and the oil particulates are caught on the brillo pads and drain into the bottom of the box. He says there is very little residue getting to the condenser now and no changes in back pressure in the exhaust to the condenser, indicating little to no restriction in flow.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 pm

From Lionel: "Is there any (reasonable) means of catching any of the oil between the engine and the condenser? i.e. reducing the amount of oil that goes through the condenser?"

Steam exhaust oil separators were very common 100 years ago, generally a device to provide centrifugal spin action, throwing oil (and water droplets if the steam is wet) against the outer walls of the vessel, with exhaust steam exiting from the center. Other types used extended surface impingement baffles, usually with healthy serrations on the surfaces to catch and drain the liquids.
Attachments
Surface Separator.jpg
Surface Separator.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
ts_verticle.jpg
ts_verticle.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi Lionel,
Lionel Connell wrote:Is there any (reasonable) means of catching any of the oil between the engine and the condenser? i.e. reducing the amount of oil that goes through the condenser?
i have built for my engine test stand a cyclone oil separator shown below from a jam jar. The principle is very simple and effectively. There is no oil in exhaust steam. It could be built also in other dimensions and a sight glass is recommended. The collecting vessel should have a good insulation for a low condensing rate.
QelAbs02005kl.jpeg
QelAbs02005kl.jpeg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
QelAbs02003kl.jpg
QelAbs02003kl.jpg (82.9 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
QelAbs02006kl.jpg
QelAbs02006kl.jpg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
Best Dietrich
Lionel Connell
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Alphington

Post by Lionel Connell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 am

Many thanks, Dietrich, Wesley and Fred, just what I was looking for. One more thing added to my "to do" list. Maybe I can incorporate this into my exhaust feed water heater, which is also sitting on my "to do" list.

Cheers

Lionel
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 am

My "to do" list, adding a surface condenser, circulating pump, hotwell with oil removal, two stages of feedwater heating, economizer, etc. was scheduled for the 2010-2011 winter. But once the steamer was underway (Fall 2010), those ambitions took second place to happy steaming on the lakes and rivers.

Now, 2018, still with simple exhaust to atmosphere, and still wanting those components, and still looking for that elusive "round tuit".
Lionel Connell
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lionel Connell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am

I find that I can get 50% of the things on my "to do" list done with no problem at all. The problem is that it is my wife's list of items on my"to do" list that I have to do first.

If only I could convince her that she needs an oil separator.

Lionel
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 am

My partner discovered adding machine tape for The List. I am doomed.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 am

"The problem is that it is my wife's list of items on my"to do" list that I have to do first. "

In the USA those items are usually referred to as the "Honey Do" list.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 am

Strangely enough, when I met Barbara she didn't know what was meant by that. She thought perhaps it was an odd name for a grocery shopping list. It did't take her long to figure it out!
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Lionel Connell
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lionel Connell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:54 am

I have a friend that has great trouble in getting his wife to agree to him spending time let alone money on his hobby projects.

When I tell him what I have on my to do list, he replies, "I will know what is on my to do list when my wife gives it to me".

He referrers to his wife as the Department of War and Finance.

Lionel