Gordon Cheape Compound

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Martyn39
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Gordon Cheape Compound

Post by Martyn39 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 pm

I have now obtained copies of all of the drawings and have spoken to Hugh Mothersole which has cleared up several of my questions. However the question of the differences in the laps on the HP and LP piston valves remains unresolved. We are going to modify the existing piston valves by turning the heads off and shrinking new heads on which will be machined to closer tolerances on the bores but more importantly we can reduce the head dimension to match our thinking on equal valve events in mid gear. If that works and when the engine is optimised the new piston valves can be machined to these final dimensions.
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Post by steamboatjack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:54 pm

The different laps are probably to arrange an earlier cut off on the H.P cylinder, as there are no eccentrics and assuming all the links are of the same size then this would make sense? Marine engines of more than one cylinder were always considered as separate engines. With Stephenson gear it was normal to have different laps top & bottom but this is probably not necessary with this gear.
Regards
Jack
Martyn39
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Martyn39 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Thank you Jack. Yes the links are the same on both cylinders. I can now start machining the valves knowing what I am trying to achieve without doubting the info on the drawings.
I will let you know how I get on.
Martyn
Martyn39
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Martyn39 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:34 pm

The large laps are giving me an early cutoff at about 50% when I would expect to run at 75% cutoff, however we tried the engine with the original slack piston valves and it runs. I will play around with reducing the lap to alter the cutoff to try and obtain the best events and then machine the new valves.
Thanks again for the comments, help and support. I will report back when the new valves are in.
Martyn
Martyn39
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Martyn39 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 pm

We are now beginning to finalise the valve timing and there are minor differences between the clockwise and anti clockwise operation. As we want to optimise the forward running can someone please tell me which way the propeller turns? If I am sitting in the back of the boat and look at the prop shaft, is it turning clockwise or anti clockwise when running ahead?
Sorry to be showing my ignorance again.
Thank you, Martyn
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Clockwise when steaming ahead when viewed from the rear is the most common. And easier to find propellors.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Lopez Mike wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:34 pm
Clockwise when steaming ahead when viewed from the rear is the most common. And easier to find propellors.
Or if you are comfortable with screw threads, right-handed is the same for these as propellers.

Of course some of us may find it easier to remember as the way to turn a corkscrew. (Though personally I like screwtops anyway).
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:30 pm

If you have a propeller and are unsure of it's direction of rotation, the side of the blade further away from you is the direction. For eexample, if it is a right-handed propeller the right side of the blade will be further away from you than the left.
Martyn39
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Martyn39 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks guys, I just want to make sure we set this engine up in the best possible way. There is not much difference between one direction and the other but with locomotives we always optimise the forward direction.
Martyn
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 am

I don't get it Wes. I went and looked at my prop and both blades are the same distance from me when I'm looking at the rear or the front. The trailing edges follow the same track. The leading edges follow the same track.

Of course I often don't get it.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama